Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to start upgrade auction on international flights

Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

I guess JALPak is busy. So here we go:

TRAICY is reporting JL's is starting an upgrade auction program on international flights. I don't see any official PR from JL yet.
Source: https://www.traicy.com/posts/20200309146975/

To summarize the above article, this program will allow Y passengers to bid for upgrade to PY or J (only for equipment without PY). Eligible passengers who booked on the JAL website will be notified of the auction 7 days before departure (subject to availability) and need to place a bid by T-48. Bidders will be notified of the result at T-24. Original booking class, JMB status, and time of the bid will make a cut in case of equal bids. Mileage/FOP accrual will be based on the original booking class. However, as a bonus offer, those who upgrade and board by Jun 30 will accrue miles/FOP based on the class after the upgrade.
Stephen_L and sassysan like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
It is now on their website --> https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...nal/b_upgrade/

What I don't understand though is the condition that says the upgrade of economy to PY or J must be the same currency used to purchase the ticket and that it doesn't mention anything about JPY. Does this mean this is geared more for inbound passengers only who bought their tickets outside of Japan?

Last edited by musashino22; Mar 8, 2020 at 10:13 pm
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by musashino22
It is now on their website --> https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...nal/b_upgrade/

What I don't understand though is the condition that says the upgrade of economy to PY or J must be the same currency used to purchase the ticket and that it doesn't mention anything about JPY. Does this mean this is geared more for inbound passengers only who bought their tickets outside of Japan?
The currency restriction to USD/GBP/EUR/CAD/SGD is for AMEX only. So I guess Japan customers are excluded from paying with Amex.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The currency restriction to USD/GBP/EUR/CAD/SGD is for AMEX only. So I guess Japan customers are excluded from paying with Amex.
Ahhhh. I didn't notice the small asterisk (*) next to AMEX. Ok then that is cool. Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
  • Additional services such as lounge access and priority baggage are subject to the upgraded booking class.
A little different than the airport PY paid upgrade.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I am very rarely willing to pay for the airport upgrade to PY, so I can't imagine that I would be using this for PY upgrade either.

The J upgrade where there is no PY is a neat addition. But the Sky Suite 787-8 without PY and the Skysuite 767 have pretty small J cabins, so I would not expect a lot of seats left for the bidding. I wonder if there is booking class limitations on the upgrade bids, just a bit lower than the usual K and above requirement.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: JMB
Only Y->PY/C? No auction for PY->C?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Seyan
No, the page has clearly stated this is for upgrade from Y to PY or Y to C only
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:16 am

There JAL goes again turning itself into a cheap airline. With its salary structure and Japanese standards, it just cannot compete with other airlines in the same way. I might be won't though.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by jgchiker
There JAL goes again turning itself into a cheap airline. With its salary structure and Japanese standards, it just cannot compete with other airlines in the same way. I might be won't though.
Wait, what? My English is really bad so sorry I don't understand your post...
Old Nov 7, 2021, 9:56 pm
BCH

Originally Posted by Seyan
It seems PY --> C bid upgrades are now available, according to the website. Are there any reports of successful bids? https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...nal/b_upgrade/
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: Jal Global Club
I received two notifications for bid offers from Y to PY/C (on JAL international award tickets by the way) last month. So my guess is that PY to C is not a problem too.

Planes were obviously empty and the minimum bids were same price as airport upgrade (40,000jpy for both Europe legs (Y to PY)), so not really a "deal". I won't be willing to pay even more than airport upgrade to eventually get an upgrade but potentially not for all the group since bids are individual + not being able to confirm seats in advance.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Just got the email for this today for an upcoming flight to BKK, I had to laugh. The minimum bid for HND-BKK is 50,000 JPY with a "Poor" bid strength. The slider goes all the way to 130,000 JPY... haha!

Seriously, someone fell off their rocker setting the range for this. I can call in and CONFIRM business class by reticketing to an I fare for 43,500 JPY. That's not an upgrade price, that's actually changing the ticket to paid business class and earning mileage on the I fare (currently ticketed as E). You'd certainly think the algorithm would take into account the current fare difference before offering an "upgrade" for more than the fare difference.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

it might not be wise for the airline to offer business class seats below the retail price when it is highly anticipated that the seats will not be sold out. That would discourage paying business passengers from doing so. Of course, if the airline is desperate for cash now, it will work, but I doubt that JAL is that desparate.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Originally Posted by Kashima
Planes were obviously empty and the minimum bids were same price as airport upgrade (40,000jpy for both Europe legs (Y to PY)), so not really a "deal". I won't be willing to pay even more than airport upgrade to eventually get an upgrade but potentially not for all the group since bids are individual + not being able to confirm seats in advance.

The cost of PY over Y right now is over $1000 USD at time of purchase. Upgrading for roughly $270 USD right now is a bargain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.