Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
---------
First class:
Seats 1A and 1K are typically blocked for last minute cash bookings/VVIPs.
Opened up at check-in T-24h.
Status doesn't affect what you can chose (it is First class after all)
---------
Business class:
Seat 1A (on 787s) is typically blocked for last minute cash bookings/VVIPs.
Opened up at check-in T-24h.
Rest of the seats, availability is based on your status for the FFP number on record.

As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
---------
Economy class:
TBU (To be updated)
Print Wikipost

Seat selection on JAL on award tickets.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 1:10 am

So I’m EP on AA and I just booked award tickets through AA for business class on JAL11/12, DFW-HND and HND-DFW, respectively (both on 773s). After the flights were confirmed and ticketed by JAL, I went to select my seats and it allowed me the option to pick first class seats. Is that because of my emerald status? I also booked the same tickets for my partner, though on a different itinerary, and when selecting his seat, there were only business class options.

Is this a glitch or will I actually get to remain in that first class seat even though I only purchased a business class ticket?
Old May 19, 2022, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jwojcik
So I’m EP on AA and I just booked award tickets through AA for business class on JAL11/12, DFW-HND and HND-DFW, respectively (both on 773s). After the flights were confirmed and ticketed by JAL, I went to select my seats and it allowed me the option to pick first class seats. Is that because of my emerald status? I also booked the same tickets for my partner, though on a different itinerary, and when selecting his seat, there were only business class options.

Is this a glitch or will I actually get to remain in that first class seat even though I only purchased a business class ticket?
If they are not planning to sell the seats as first class they do allow emerald to select them in advance. Pretty normal on the Bangkok flights these days. The service will of course be the same as the rest of business class
Old May 19, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
OneWorld Sapphire here flying SFO-NRT-CGK and return with a paid business class ticket but with AA flight numbers.
Have the JL PNR but nothing works on JAL website.
Should I just try calling AA to do seating? Or JL?
Thanks!
Old May 19, 2022, 9:43 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
OneWorld Sapphire here flying SFO-NRT-CGK and return with a paid business class ticket but with AA flight numbers.
Thanks!
AA is responsible for seat assignment on codeshare flights operated by JL
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by JALPak
AA is responsible for seat assignment on codeshare flights operated by JL
QF have no access to JAL seat maps so not sure if AA would? JAL are a mess IT wise; app and website.
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks!
Via AA is usually perfectly fine. Not that I fly much on AA codeshare, but a friend does for all his Los Angeles <-> Japan flights, and has no issues to get seats assigned or changed via AA.
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I am traveling on an AA award JFK to HND on April 11, 2023. I am lifetime gold, my wife has no status. I called AA for sears and had no problems, was offered any seats I wanted. Choose 9A and 9C
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Via AA is usually perfectly fine. Not that I fly much on AA codeshare, but a friend does for all his Los Angeles <-> Japan flights, and has no issues to get seats assigned or changed via AA.
For award seats it seems to be OK but mine is a paid AA codeshare in R (discounted business class) and the AAgent specifically said "no seat reservations on R class tickets, only at airport for JL flights". Wish AA would at least note that on the booking page!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For award seats it seems to be OK but mine is a paid AA codeshare in R (discounted business class) and the AAgent specifically said "no seat reservations on R class tickets, only at airport for JL flights". Wish AA would at least note that on the booking page!
That's a new one to me as well.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Booked BKK-HND-SFO on JL using AS miles. Trying to get row 7 on HND-SFO sector (777) assigned, but online system will only let me pick seats from row 8 onward. Tried to call their US toll free number to talk to someone, but I've been getting a perennial busy tone for the past 2 days!
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaushik123
Booked BKK-HND-SFO on JL using AS miles. Trying to get row 7 on HND-SFO sector (777) assigned, but online system will only let me pick seats from row 8 onward. Tried to call their US toll free number to talk to someone, but I've been getting a perennial busy tone for the past 2 days!
The call centre can't assign you seats that are not available online. If they are just blocked for you and not selected, they will become available for selection when online check in opens.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Row 7 is showing available online and I am able to select the seats. However when I hit save/confirm I get an error
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Row 7 is showing available online and I am able to select the seats. However when I hit save/confirm I get an error
That is how the system works for those without the right access to those seats. It won't show the map with them blocked - it just errors out if you try and select them.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw
That is how the system works for those without the right access to those seats. It won't show the map with them blocked - it just errors out if you try and select them.
yeh my F flight shows open 1A and 1K Seats but errors out when I select as well
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Any chance JL would allow assignment of row 1 on two separate tickets, one OWE and the other non-status? 772 with only J being sold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.