Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
---------
First class:
Seats 1A and 1K are typically blocked for last minute cash bookings/VVIPs.
Opened up at check-in T-24h.
Status doesn't affect what you can chose (it is First class after all)
---------
Business class:
Seat 1A (on 787s) is typically blocked for last minute cash bookings/VVIPs.
Opened up at check-in T-24h.
Rest of the seats, availability is based on your status for the FFP number on record.

As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
---------
Economy class:
TBU (To be updated)
Print Wikipost

Seat selection on JAL on award tickets.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:57 pm

JL70 from SGN-HND and JL41 from HND-LHR in May all on AM business reward ticket with no status. All windows seats are blocked. Would like to know if this is likely to open at some time before check-in if those seats are not taken at that time? As this is my first business class experience I want to maximise the experience and choose the windows seats.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by infrequent_flyers
JL70 from SGN-HND and JL41 from HND-LHR in May all on AM business reward ticket with no status. All windows seats are blocked. Would like to know if this is likely to open at some time before check-in if those seats are not taken at that time? As this is my first business class experience I want to maximise the experience and choose the windows seats.
Probably only opens with online check-in. There has been some random reports where people have seen seat maps open earlier, but by design, it is supposed to be at OLCI.
whkento and infrequent_flyers like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:20 pm

trouble calling JAL for AA award ticket

Two days ago, I was able to redeem my AA miles for a JAL business ticket (SGN to LAX on 7/22/2022, Flight #JAL 70). While AA gave me a record locator, it also gave me confirmation code (6 digits starting with 2WN) with an "i" which says that I need to call JAL for seat assignment. This is my first time flying with JAL so I went on its website to create an account and when I logged on to manage my booking ( I selected Award -passenger's name options), it said that it could not find my reservation. I tried to call JAL @1-800-525-3663 but the phone was busy. I emailed JAL and have not heard back from them. I know that it's still a long way before my trip and I am not worry about the seat assignment. I just wanted to make sure that my ticket is on JAL system. Should I be concerned at this point? What can I do to ease my concern?
TIA,
Trang
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Trang
Two days ago, I was able to redeem my AA miles for a JAL business ticket (SGN to LAX on 7/22/2022, Flight #JAL 70). While AA gave me a record locator, it also gave me confirmation code (6 digits starting with 2WN) with an "i" which says that I need to call JAL for seat assignment. This is my first time flying with JAL so I went on its website to create an account and when I logged on to manage my booking ( I selected Award -passenger's name options), it said that it could not find my reservation. I tried to call JAL @1-800-525-3663 but the phone was busy. I emailed JAL and have not heard back from them. I know that it's still a long way before my trip and I am not worry about the seat assignment. I just wanted to make sure that my ticket is on JAL system. Should I be concerned at this point? What can I do to ease my concern?
TIA,
Trang
You do not need to create an account to view the reservation. Just go to "Manage Flight Booking." You should also be able to view your JL PNR at https://www.checkmytrip.com/cmtweb/#/cmt/mytrips
whkento likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
You do not need to create an account to view the reservation. Just go to "Manage Flight Booking." You should also be able to view your JL PNR at https://www.checkmytrip.com/cmtweb/#/cmt/mytrips
Hi,
Thank you for your help. I clicked on the link that you provided in your response. This is not JAL website, isn't ? Does it mean that I have to create an account on this website to view my ticket?
Again, TIA
Trang
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Hi,
Thank you for your help. I clicked on the link that you provided in your response. This is not JAL website, isn't ? Does it mean that I have to create an account on this website to view my ticket?
Again, TIA
Trang
This is not JAL website. It's Amadeus, the service provider of JAL and many other airlines in the world. You said you were having troubles viewing the ticket number. This website should show it.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
OWE with AA but used BA avios to book Biz class HEL-HND on a 787-9 in September. EF shows one person in 2A and the rest of the seats empty, not blocked, except 1A+K. The only window seats I can pick on JL MMB are row 8 and higher as the wiki says. I used to be able to change my FFN using MMB on RJ or AY websites. This no longer seems to work. I even tried choosing 'none' for the FFN on the RJ website but this did not remove the FFN. Does anyone know a current method to replace a FFN? I could try to call JL for seat selection but I think they are likely to say too bad since it is a BA booking where I have no status.

Last edited by houstr8male; Apr 6, 2022 at 6:58 pm Reason: correct to AY
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by houstr8male
OWE with AA but used BA avios to book Biz class HEL-HND on a 787-9 in September. EF shows one person in 2A and the rest of the seats empty, not blocked, except 1A+K. The only window seats I can pick on JL MMB are row 8 and higher as the wiki says. I used to be able to change my FFN using MMB on RJ or AY websites. This no longer seems to work. I even tried choosing 'none' for the FFN on the RJ website but this did not remove the FFN. Does anyone know a current method to replace a FFN? I could try to call JL for seat selection but I think they are likely to say too bad since it is a BA booking where I have no status.
You have to call BA to get them to update your frequent flyer number. Though I don't know if they are out of the "please don't call us as we don't have trained staff" mode yet.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
houstr8male have you tried using CX and QF websites through MMB to change your FFN.
OF
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by OldFruity
houstr8male have you tried using CX and QF websites through MMB to change your FFN.
OF
Yes. I believe I have tried all the one world airline sites. I can remove the FFN using RJ site. Then I enter my AA FFN on the BA site. It says accepted but it won't save the entry and reverts back to BA FFN.

BA still not welcoming phone calls lol. "Try again another time."

Last edited by houstr8male; Apr 7, 2022 at 6:23 pm Reason: Added BA comments
Old May 8, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: none
Hi,
Again, TIA
Trang
Hello! Were you able to find your award reservation after all? If yes are you able to help show me how to do so? I’m on the same boat as I just booked my award tickets but unable to locate/search for it using JAL website. I wish their website is as easy to navigate as Cathay Pacific. Thank you!
Old May 8, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: Avios
One trick that I have just learned is when asking AA to assign business class seats on JAL start at the back of the Business class cabin. If you starting at the front the AA reservation agents will say that advanced seating is not allowed but if you start with a seat request at the back of the Business class cabin there is almost always seats available. I have been able to assign seats at the back of the J cabin on my last two redemptions. Both times the agents told me there was no advanced seating but when i had them check at the back of the J cabin seating was available.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: none
Actually, I was able to login using the confirmation code within signing into my JAL account and select seats at the front row. If you haven’t done it, you can try it now.
Old May 14, 2022, 10:22 pm

Loophole

Worth mentioning that there IS another loophole to getting 1A or 1K unblocked on award tickets - on both the 77W in F and the 787-9 in J. If you have a (valid) disability (eg Autism) you can call the special assistance desk in Japan and ask for one of these seats assuming one of these are technically vacant - they have the ability to unblock seats that are normally restricted for award tickets. Assuming there's a US point involved, this should not be difficult, but might be a bit time consuming because the call is done through a translator. Disclaimer: I do have a valid disability. Don't do this unless it can benefit you based on your disability.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
OWE here traveling with a OWS on a revenue business class booking on JL's 777-300 ER.

I was able to secure 5K for me, and 7K for the OWS. The only other open window seats are 5A and 12K. Will 5A become available to the OWS at check-in, assuming it hasn't already been taken?

As an aside, the OWS chose 7K over 12K because they wanted to be in front of the wing for better photography. I would imagine privacy may not be as good, as people queue to use the restroom?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.