Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL 777 Skysuite Aisle Vs Center

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The apex seats generally gets good feedback, the main draw back is indeed storage, but you can have your carry on under the ottoman, so no need to have to many loose items flying around. You can leave some items on the shelf under the screen. For the window and the middle seats, there is a storage pocket above and behind the seat, and the aisle seat has a small cubicle for storage. I have not noticed them rocking with the neighbour's movement like the AA ying yang seats are famous for. But can't rule out people more sensitive than me might pick up on that.

My approach is always the further in front the better, so I would go for 7K.
Sweet okay thanks for the tips on the seat. And yes I always go further to the front too as I like to avoid a possible baby crying in Y and really prefer to eat first.. Just the lav worried me as it looks close.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
this Apex seat looks atrocious.
I've flown in the Apex seat numerous times, and I think it's wonderful. Some people complain about storage, but I just put my carry-on under the ottoman and have easy access to everything I need. There are also shelves and little pockets here and there.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I've flown in the Apex seat numerous times, and I think it's wonderful. Some people complain about storage, but I just put my carry-on under the ottoman and have easy access to everything I need. There are also shelves and little pockets here and there.
Agree, imho Apex is probably my favorite J product flying currently (albeit I’ve only been in windo seats). All-asile access while not having an constraints from a footwell is the winning combination. And as other’s have mentioned, if your carry on is backpack (and not a large roller board) it’ll fit underneath the ottoman so the storage issue is solved there and also there is a small netting thing behind you on the window seats that’s good for storage (and a great place for a personal usb fan for those warm JL cabins)
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Another +1 for the Apex seat. If you get window or middle it's basically a private suite. The aisle seats are a bit meh because it's not closed off and people walking past.

Once the plane takes off I never interact with the person next to me until we land since you have your own path to the aisle.

Not sure what international long-haul is like on AA, but I fly their flagship transcon's all the time and find their J to be a bit of a pain if you get the window as you have to step over the person and their bed to get out. And F is basically just J w/o a person next to you and you're at a weird angle too.Quick ReplyReply
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum
+1 for Apex. Go for window.
Personally don't find storage an issue, there's space under/on the ottoman, shelf in front of the TV, the magazine shelf next to the TV, the space where you plug in your earphones (for Aisle seats) and a space above/behind your head.
If you like the cocooned feeling then the middle seat is perfect
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Wild to me how much enthusiasm there is for Apex but all the comments are duly noted. I cant wait to try it. I think the cloth seats of JL look bad though, they show wear & tear and stains from some pics I have seen. Also, in no way is this seat 25 inches. Is this just a seat guru mistake? AA FF seat is 21.5 and this clearly looks smaller, maybe 20? 25 would make it closer to the super wide SQ J seats. At any rate, excited to try it though.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Wild to me how much enthusiasm there is for Apex but all the comments are duly noted. I cant wait to try it. I think the cloth seats of JL look bad though, they show wear & tear and stains from some pics I have seen. Also, in no way is this seat 25 inches. Is this just a seat guru mistake? AA FF seat is 21.5 and this clearly looks smaller, maybe 20? 25 would make it closer to the super wide SQ J seats. At any rate, excited to try it though.
I stopped looking at seatguru a long time ago, particularly for non US airlines. The information just seems to be all over the place, both in terms of details like these, but also just getting latest seat map up and outdated seat maps taken down.
GWFan likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:18 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
65cm is the bed width. Between armrests it’s 52cm.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se.../skysuite.html
happiest_at_40000 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
There is a lot to be said for a seat that doesn't put your feet into some tiny cubbyhole. Last summer I flew in ANA's new J seat "the Room," which lots of people rave about, but I found the foot space too restrictive and uncomfortable. It didn't help that the seat itself is approximately as soft as granite. JL's Apex seat is much softer.
pesos likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I believe on most 77Ws, the seats have been reupholstered and look pretty spiffy (pic from august for reference). Further, for me, as at 5’11 and 180lbs, the seat is more than large enough for me, but I guess if one is quite a bit bigger, it could be tight. Imho, I’ve never tried the NH room, but it absolutely beats the QR Qsuite, as the window seats have the privacy of the Qsuite without the constricted foot space. Win win
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can anyone compare the 777 HND -LAX J seat to the SQ 777-300 ER?

thinking of switching to JAL, but the JAL seat on the 787-9 was the worst lie flat ever.

I’d save 20K AS mile by switching.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 18, 2023 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
Can anyone compare the 777 HND -LAX J seat to the SQ 777-300 ER?

thinking of switching to JAL, but the JAL seat on the 787-9 was the worst lie flat ever.

I’d save 20K AS mile by switching.
I'd take the apex suite over the SQ seat any day. No footwell, no need to sleep at a weird angle, no flip forward nor very small recline on JAL. The disadvantage of the JAL seat would be less storage, but you can have a carry on under the ottoman, so that kinds of compensates for that short coming.
pesos likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 18, 2023 at 9:49 pm
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I'd take the apex suite over the SQ seat any day. No footwell, no need to sleep at a weird angle, no flip forward and very small recline on JAL. The disadvantage of the JAL seat would be less storage, but you can have a carry on under the ottoman, so that kinds of compensates for that short coming.
Thanks, but a little confused. very small recline on JAL is a plus?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks, but a little confused. very small recline on JAL is a plus?
No, very small recline on SQ, but admittedly the ambiguity of the writing can lead to confusion.
beachfan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:05 pm

Grest, thanks. I’ll either save 20k points with JAL J or hopefully fly JAL F for an extra 5k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.