Question regarding fare rules

Old Feb 13, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Question regarding fare rules

I know this is probably way too early to start worrying about this, but we have flights to Hanoi via Tokyo in July. Having seen Vietnam starting to isolate people to prevent the spread, it made me wonder what will happen should it spiral truly out of control. I'm hoping things will have calmed down about the virus by then, but wanted to ask a question in the case that we did decide to cancel.

The fare conditions from the Y+ fare we have says the following:

Booking Class E Minimum Stay* Varies by fare type Maximum Stay* Varies by fare type Reservation Change** USD$250 each Cancellation/Refund*** USD$300 each Advance Seat Assignment**** Eligible JMB Mileage Accumulation******** For refund in case of no-show, cancellation fee of USD$600 will apply to each ticket.
For refunds after departure, the refunded amount will be based only on the partial (unused) ticket value, which may result in no refund value.

**** Advance seat assignment subject to availability.

***** Intra-Asia Booking Class: W/R/E/Y/K. JMB upgrades are subject to availability.
Note: Please be advised that Premium Economy Class is only available for selected flights. Economy Class will be provided if Premium Economy Class is not offered.

Is it my understanding that we'd be refunded everything minus 300 USD? Or is it like some airlines that they only refund you the carrier charges and tax, keeping most the fare? There is a suggestion to contact JAL for specifics, but I will hold off doing so until I get a better idea from fellow experts here.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus GOLD, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
If it spirals out of control for Vietnam as you say, a waiver will most likely come in to effect. But until then, yes your fare rules allows for a refund minus a 300 USD fee.
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi, yes. I'm quite relaxed about it now. Will hold off on booking hotels etc for the timebeing. If it does get worse, then yes, chances a waiver comes into effect. Or if a schedule change occurs always able to get a full refund. I've had 2 schedule changes so far, but accepted both.

Just going to sit calmly and see how it plays out.

Thank you kindly for your help

Search this Thread
Search Engine: