Message needs updating

Old Feb 12, 20, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Message needs updating

I don't speak Japanese so don't know if they got it right but in English an interesting announcement:

"JAL..... takes the threat of ebola and swine flu very seriously.....so if you have been in Africa and feel unwell...."
Mentioned to the fa as I departed that they should update the announcement.

Of interest for a very early morning arrival at NRT there was NO ONE AT the infectious disease desk altho there were signs to stop there if sick??????
On the plus side almost all staff and passengers (except some caucasians) were wearing masks so the chance of catching a cold is probably markedly decreased. And mid day when there are usually long lines of people purchasing huge amounts of candy, mochi, etc to take home one could check out in a few minutes - no lines (altho not so good for the vendors I guess)
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Those messages are not written and selected by JAL. It is messages that the authorities control. Why they have not added any additional messages is difficult to say, but already at check in the ask if you have been to China within the last 14 days, so there is less need to remind people again.

In Haneda there was special lines at the health check for people arriving from China, Hong Kong and Macau. So maybe at the early morning, they had yet to have inbound passengers from risk areas.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
I was not asked about travel in China when I left KL (to nrt), but was asked in nrt on the way to the US. Although at checkin they might have looked to see if any China visa but I doubt it b/c my passport is big and they didn't take that long.

The announcement I heard was inflight and before landing - directed to people who might have become sick during the flight. I would have thought that the airline (or country) does direct these - sort of startled me to hear ebola!

Last edited by estnet; Feb 12, 20 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
I was not asked about travel in China when I left KL (to nrt), but was asked in nrt on the way to the US. Although at checkin they might have looked to see if any China visa but I doubt it b/c my passport is big and they didn't take that long.

The announcement I heard was inflight and before landing - directed to people who might have become sick during the flight. I would have thought that the airline (or country) does direct these - sort of startled me to hear ebola!
He message about contacting the crew if feeling sick during the flight, has been around for a long while. It is slightly different depending on the country you land in, so it is very likely regulated by the arriving country.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: