Japan Airlines refund policy

Old Feb 5, 20, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Japan Airlines refund policy

I'm seeking a possible cancellation and refund of a ticket due to my wife falling pregnant. I've been reading on the website under refund and cancellation policy and it says that it is only 440 yen. That can't be right can it? Is it as simple as putting in the request and paying 440 yen?

I'm trying to set up my phone to call internationally to speak with JAL but if anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Corza000 View Post
I'm seeking a possible cancellation and refund of a ticket due to my wife falling pregnant. I've been reading on the website under refund and cancellation policy and it says that it is only 440 yen. That can't be right can it? Is it as simple as putting in the request and paying 440 yen?

I'm trying to set up my phone to call internationally to speak with JAL but if anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated.
It deoends on your specific ticket. For domestic there is always a refund fee of 440 yen, it does not mean all tickets allow for a refund. Just that any tickets that do, will be charged 440 yen.

If you can let us know what kind of ticket and route you booked, the forum can give you a bit more specific advice.
Corza000 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. It's an international ticket Australia (Melbourne) to Tokyo return.
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:16 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Corza000 View Post
Thanks. It's an international ticket Australia (Melbourne) to Tokyo return.
the refer to your fare rules. If this is ticketed with a 3rd party, you will need to check their refund policy and penalty as well.
Corza000 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether your ticket is refundable and at what cost is a matter of the fare rules for your specific ticket. If you do not have those, you may call JL. As others note, if you booked through a TA or some other third-party vendor, they may have fees over and above JL's.
Tokyoite and Corza000 like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
if you bought your ticket directly from JAL website....
Go to the JAL website (link) and click on "Manage Booking", then either login or enter ticket information to access the booking details.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page with your booking details, and you will see the "Penalties".
cancellations
before departure
charge AUD xxx for cancel/refund.

You can cancel online, and if the ticket is refundable, the ticket original amount minus the penalty amount will be refunded to your original payment card. If the ticket is nonrefundable, you may chose to change it to an earlier date where you both can fly before the pregnancy effects become too severe, or cancel it for zero refund. The change fee is also in the "Penalties" section.

However, if you bought your ticket from an online travel agent (Expedia or what not), you need to call your travel agent to confirm the exact amount of penalties, whether the ticket is refundable, and how to process the cancellation.
Corza000 likes this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Feb 5, 20 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 5, 20, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. I was able to find it from the booking.
Old Feb 7, 20, 12:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond;
I also would explain your situation when you call to cancel. I had the same thing happen with AA (had to cancel a ticket due to wife getting pregnant after we booked), and they fully canceled some pretty expensive tickets, no question asked and with no fees.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: