itm-hnd-sfo ? check bag through?

Old Feb 4, 20, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
itm-hnd-sfo ? check bag through?

I was surprised that when I flew sfo-hnd-kix - bkk I had to pick up my bad at hnd and transport it (by bus) to the domestic terminal despite having been told at check in at sfo that this was not necessary.
So now I'm flying the above and wonder if I will land at domestic terminal at hnd and have to transfer my luggage myself. Help please.
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:06 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
I was surprised that when I flew sfo-hnd-kix - bkk I had to pick up my bad at hnd and transport it (by bus) to the domestic terminal despite having been told at check in at sfo that this was not necessary.
So now I'm flying the above and wonder if I will land at domestic terminal at hnd and have to transfer my luggage myself. Help please.
If you are flying ITM-HND-SFO you can check your bag in ITM all the way to SFO. There is no need to pick it up in HND.

If you are flying SFO-HND-ITM or KIX, you have to pick up your bag in HND which is the first port of entry in Japan, take it through customs and re-check it for the domestic flight. This can be done in the international terminal and there is no need to take it over by bus to the domestic terminal.

However I think you can only re-check your bag in the international terminal for the connecting domestic flight. Since you were flying HND-KIX-BKK you probably had to pick up your bag in KIX and re-check it for your international flight to BKK if you checked it in the international terminal in HND. Instead you took it to the domestic terminal where you could check it through to BKK.

At least thatís my guess.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:15 am

Programs: BonVoy Au, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
I think the domestic connection on your outbound confused the SF agents. That was normal that you'd need to reclaim your bags to go through customs to take a domestic flight.

Yes, at ITM you can check your bags all the way through to SFO. I've done it personally. Go to the international connections counter (was on the left hand side of the counters, left of the escalators to departure security).

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/airport/itm/

I can't remember what the hours were but I think they've been mentioned and buried in one of the threads here.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:22 am

I am having the same questions. I leave from ORD( share Chicago) and fly to London transfer planes and take aer Lingus to Shannon. Do I need to pick up bags and transfer myself? also on the way home Shannon to Philly then Philly to Chicago. Same baggage policy?
Old Feb 4, 20, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by cheifmom1 View Post
I am having the same questions. I leave from ORD( share Chicago) and fly to London transfer planes and take aer Lingus to Shannon. Do I need to pick up bags and transfer myself? also on the way home Shannon to Philly then Philly to Chicago. Same baggage policy?
This has nothing to do with JAL, hence this is the wrong forum to ask the question.
Please ask in the correct forum (based on the actual airline you are flying on from Chicago to London).
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
This has nothing to do with JAL, hence this is the wrong forum to ask the question.
Please ask in the correct forum (based on the actual airline you are flying on from Chicago to London).
SORRY!!
Old Feb 4, 20, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by cheifmom1 View Post
There are few questions to go with that one. What airline are you flying, are the flights on the same ticket, is it a same day connection, are you changing airport. So there is not really enough information in your question to give an answer. And yes, the most effective is to ask in the forum of the airline you are flying. As people will know better. Though generally UK to Ireland does not require a reclaim of luggage in London.

And welcome to Flyertalk by the way.
Old Feb 4, 20, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Thanks very much - do you know if I am flying first should I go to the internat. connections rather than first class check in? or maybe it's better just to ask them when I get there?
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
I think the domestic connection on your outbound confused the SF agents. That was normal that you'd need to reclaim your bags to go through customs to take a domestic flight.

Yes, at ITM you can check your bags all the way through to SFO. I've done it personally. Go to the international connections counter (was on the left hand side of the counters, left of the escalators to departure security).

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/airport/itm/

I can't remember what the hours were but I think they've been mentioned and buried in one of the threads here.
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Thanks very much - do you know if I am flying first should I go to the internat. connections rather than first class check in? or maybe it's better just to ask them when I get there?
International connections check in counters. At the far right side when you stand in front of the terminal in ITM. There is also a first class counter there.
Old Feb 5, 20, 6:28 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
You can do it at the premium check in.

There's construction going on at ITM so things have been moving around a lot recently but I think the premium check in facilities for both JAL and ANA are all done now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: