FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Denied at lounge in KUL, despite flying business & OW emerald (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2006814-denied-lounge-kul-despite-flying-business-ow-emerald.html)

Travel-Quinten Jan 30, 2020 7:21 am

Denied at lounge in KUL, despite flying business & OW emerald

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's a new for me:

Flying JL724 (KUL-NRT) in business and as a OW Emerald, I was handed a Plaza Premium First invitation at check-in. I visited the MH first lounge first, but there was no vegetarian food. Then I went on to use the PP voucher, but was denied entry. According to the reception, pax on JL can visit only 1 lounge in KL and it's either MH, CX or PPF. I get it that JL doesn't want to pay 3 lounge entries per traveller, but that hasn't been told me when entering MH. And besides that, I entered MH first as a Emerald (through BA, which means BA will pay, not JL).

Anyone knows whether an airline can restrict lounge access - even if access is through status with another airline? Even if so, I think the airline should not hand out PP entry vouchers but instead inform pax they could only visit 1 lounge.

ZBigFam Jan 30, 2020 7:23 am

I read about Star alliance doing this with contracted lounges. That said in Taipei I went to both the Cathay Pacific and Jal lounges with no issue.

percysmith Jan 30, 2020 7:36 am

Sounds like this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31817871

(Since ZBigFam mentioned *A, which was a recent *A change) new policy?

brenc3 Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am

This happened to me 2 years ago flying TPE-KUL on MH. MH gave an invitation to the CI Dynasty Lounge. I visited there first, then tried to go to the CX lounge and was denied, saying I could only visit one lounge per invitation. It would be really nice if Oneworld could add a list of exceptions to their lounge policy on their website, whether it be carriers or airports that have this one lounge per airport policy.

percysmith Jan 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by brenc3 (Post 32012727)
This happened to me 2 years ago flying TPE-KUL on MH. MH gave an invitation to the CI Dynasty Lounge. I visited there first, then tried to go to the CX lounge and was denied, saying I could only visit one lounge per invitation. It would be really nice if Oneworld could add a list of exceptions to their lounge policy on their website, whether it be carriers or airports that have this one lounge per airport policy.

I think the similarity in all these cases is a contract lounge is involved. No lounge crawling any contract lounge with oneworld-flagged lounges.

CPH-Flyer Jan 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten (Post 32011935)
Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's a new for me:

Flying JL724 (KUL-NRT) in business and as a OW Emerald, I was handed a Plaza Premium First invitation at check-in. I visited the MH first lounge first, but there was no vegetarian food. Then I went on to use the PP voucher, but was denied entry. According to the reception, pax on JL can visit only 1 lounge in KL and it's either MH, CX or PPF. I get it that JL doesn't want to pay 3 lounge entries per traveller, but that hasn't been told me when entering MH. And besides that, I entered MH first as a Emerald (through BA, which means BA will pay, not JL).

Anyone knows whether an airline can restrict lounge access - even if access is through status with another airline? Even if so, I think the airline should not hand out PP entry vouchers but instead inform pax they could only visit 1 lounge.

With OW lounge access used to be paid by the operating carrier. There has been some hints that this has changed in June last year, QR makes reference to a rule change and started saying QR PC membrrs flying in Y on other OW carriers have limited lounge choice. So I am not entirely sure what they current payment principle is.

In Hong Kong it has kind of been like this for a long while, you get a lounge invitation for the CX lounge, but have to remember to get a stamp for re entry if you want to change lounge. Though sometimes they give you the stamp already on entry.

Travel-Quinten Jan 30, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the reactions. Seems to happen more often then, although I always enjoy lounge hopping in HKG as well :)

Thanks!

fotographer Jan 30, 2020 5:19 pm

it also happened to us, a few weeks ago.. one lounge and that was it..
We were just passing time.. so it was not a big issue, but the lady at the lounge said she checked with JL, and yes we could enter if we wanted to
Went back the MH first instead.

On a side note, I am a vegie and they do have noodles with vegie broth that is really tastly

Tokyoite Jan 30, 2020 8:46 pm

KUL is like that, and the first time comes as a shock. But the next time you pass there, you will be wiser.
I personally just stick to the MH lounge.
OR, get two boarding passes (home print + airport BP). Show the home print to the MH lounge (home/mobile BPs accepted), and the airport BP to the Contract lounge/Cathay Lounge (these two insist on the airport BP, to enforce the 1 lounge limit).

minizian Jan 30, 2020 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 32014669)
KUL is like that, and the first time comes as a shock. But the next time you pass there, you will be wiser.
I personally just stick to the MH lounge.
OR, get two boarding passes (home print + airport BP). Show the home print to the MH lounge (home/mobile BPs accepted), and the airport BP to the Contract lounge/Cathay Lounge (these two insist on the airport BP, to enforce the 1 lounge limit).

From my experience, MH usually will scan the boarding pass and Plaza Premium First will stamp the boarding pass (unless things changes now). Unsure about Cathay as I was given entry into Plaza Premium by the ground staff during check in. The boading pass also printed the lounge name too.

MH Lounge surely wins hands down in my opinion. Issues is that these lounges were located opposite of the gate mean you have to do some walking.

Some of the reply mentioned China Airlines lounge, yes that lounge is the closest to C34 versus other lounge.

Kacee Jan 31, 2020 12:24 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32013711)
In Hong Kong it has kind of been like this for a long while, you get a lounge invitation for the CX lounge, but have to remember to get a stamp for re entry if you want to change lounge.

I've multiple lounge hopped at HKG many times. Never get a stamp. Usually don't use the invite, just BP.

dici Jan 31, 2020 12:59 am

Not sure if OP went back to MH lounge or not. If so, OP can just pick an ala cart and request customization, the chef should able to do it if ingredient is available. As this is a very norm thing in Malaysia...

Else, can just walk to MH business lounge, usually there have also veg option, you can also order the custom made veg option at noodle bar

CPH-Flyer Jan 31, 2020 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32015195)
I've multiple lounge hopped at HKG many times. Never get a stamp. Usually don't use the invite, just BP.

It is not a problem to lounge hop as such, I have done it many times as well. Some of the agents are just a bit nitpicking about the reentry stamp. You may have avoided them...

Travel-Quinten Jan 31, 2020 5:24 am

Originally Posted by dici (Post 32015270)
Not sure if OP went back to MH lounge or not. If so, OP can just pick an ala cart and request customization, the chef should able to do it if ingredient is available. As this is a very norm thing in Malaysia...

Else, can just walk to MH business lounge, usually there have also veg option, you can also order the custom made veg option at noodle bar

That's indeed what I tried first. They came with a few pieces of lettuce and a sour dressing. For main some boiled rice with chana massala. Thought the PPF might had better options, so that's why I left.

From the PPF, we called the MH lounge and told them they should have warned us for the stamp regime. The front office of PPF requested MH to delete the visit in the system, so PPF could let us in. And so it happened.

For all veggies: the PPF has excellent options :)

minizian Feb 2, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten (Post 32015677)
That's indeed what I tried first. They came with a few pieces of lettuce and a sour dressing. For main some boiled rice with chana massala. Thought the PPF might had better options, so that's why I left.

From the PPF, we called the MH lounge and told them they should have warned us for the stamp regime. The front office of PPF requested MH to delete the visit in the system, so PPF could let us in. And so it happened.

For all veggies: the PPF has excellent options :)

Hah that was so malaysian way of doing stuff. I supposed you were very nice to the PP guys instead just screaming here and there.

I am surprised the front check in folks did not warn you about lounge hopping since it is natural that people with Sapphire/Emerald have tendency to lounge hop