Seat Change Possible?

Old Jan 23, 20, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
Seat Change Possible?

I'm booked on JL3 JFK-NRT on Saturday and have 11D. The seatmap shows the flight as full but I have no status with JL nor Oneworld. I would like a window seat. Do seats really open up when online check-in starts? I see five empty seats in F so maybe some upgrades could happen, opening up better C seats, correct? Does asking at the check-in counter ever meet with success? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I'm booked on JL3 JFK-NRT on Saturday and have 11D. The seatmap shows the flight as full but I have no status with JL nor Oneworld. I would like a window seat. Do seats really open up when online check-in starts? I see five empty seats in F so maybe some upgrades could happen, opening up better C seats, correct? Does asking at the check-in counter ever meet with success? Thanks in advance.
you can always ask but those who want to upgrade with miles would have done it beforehand as there’s no longer a discount to do it on day of departure.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, JMB Crystal
PE and Y both still have plenty of tickets available in all fare buckets, so op-ups are probably not happening.

Probably only have a chance if someone decides to upgrade with miles at the airport. I don't know how likely that is though.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I will update when I try OLCI tomorrow.
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
no dice. Here is JL003 on 1/25 and the business class window seats are all taken.
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:47 pm

Programs: BonVoy Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Does asking at the check-in counter ever meet with success?
I'd ask at the counter and again at the gate. Could always have no-shows or others trying to rearrange themselves to sit together. Sometimes miracles happen.
Old Feb 9, 20, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Just an update - I was not able to change my seat JFK-NRT, but I did have success in getting a seat change (window) on the 787-9 NRT-KUL by asking at the gate. I enjoyed my flights a lot, other than the too-warm cabin.
rustykettel and seigex like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: