Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:32 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tenant13
I'm scheduled to fly on JAL to Tokyo (Friday) and then after a stopover to Kuala Lumpur (Tuesday 03.31). Malaysia is on a lockdown until the 03.31 - perhaps longer if necessary. My ticket is issued by AA and according to the website the flight is not canceled (how is that possible?). Plus - and I really don't want to sound dramatic here - I had a heart attack on Tuesday, sigh... For realz. It's all good - they put a stent in and I don't feel any different but this is really not a moment to jump on the plane for a 3 months long trip to SE Asia Given that I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to travel again, I want to get a full refund for this trip but the only option I have now is canceling through the AA website for credit. I do have travel insurance. Should I just file a claim for the trip cancelation? Try to get someone at AA on the phone? Contact JAL?
Sorry to hear of your heart condition and hope the stent works.

I believe you are entitled to a refund already https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/info/202..._02/index.html .
But since your ticket is issued by AA (AA.com right?) you're going to have to work with AA for the refund.
Also I'm not sure are you caught by the refund in AA credit BS - ask over in AA forum. Or is this a credit card chargeback matter?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by JALPak
https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/202003/005549.html

finally start seeing long haul cuts. This time mainly targeting North America. EU is next?
Need some help interpreting this.

Trying to get a young family member home from USA to Bangkok ASAP. Looking at flights from SFO to BKK via HND (or via NRT, but in either case without an airport switch).

On the JAL web page linked above, there are 5 columns.
The 4th column heading is "Details (Flights per Week)" and (in the case of the flights we're interested in) says "7 -> Reduction on Right".
The 5th column heading is "Applicable Dates (Suspended)" and (in the case of the flights we're interested in) lists 4 dates (specifically March 21, 23, 25, 27).

I interpret that to mean that on the dates specified (3/21, 3/23, 3/25, and 3/27) the flights are canceled, and that flights on non-listed days that week (3/22, 3/24, 3/26, 3/28) the flights are currently still expected to go.

That seems logical and reads correctly to me, but since a lot is riding on this (and things get lost in translation, and I'm nervous), I wanted a sanity check. Is my interpretation above correct?

Also: There's currently no prohibition on international passengers transiting through Tokyo airports - correct?

(And yes, I know any of these things could change on any day.)

Many thanks for the help.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes

US-Thailand not subject to transit prohibitions in Japan https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:15 am

Thank you, percysmith, that's what I thought (and those are the flights we're looking at) - just wanted a sanity check for confirmation.

(Things are complicated by a new requirement imposed in the past few days by the Thai government that adds some extra bureaucracy and paperwork requirements, we're working on those right now, but the flights look like they should work.)

Thanks again.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Thank you, percysmith, that's what I thought (and those are the flights we're looking at) - just wanted a sanity check for confirmation.

(Things are complicated by a new requirement imposed in the past few days by the Thai government that adds some extra bureaucracy and paperwork requirements, we're working on those right now, but the flights look like they should work.)

Thanks again.
I know that everyone boarding a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok has to be able to show a negative Covid-19 test within two days of departure, you should check exactly how this rule is applied, just Thai Airways, or all airlines. Since getting as test for non symptomatic healthy people can be a challenge.

For Thai citizens a bit less challenging, but still need health certificates and a letter from the Thai Embassy.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 23, 2020 at 4:22 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I know that everyone boarding a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok has to be able to show a negative Covid-19 test within two days of departure, you should check exactly how this rule is applied, just Thai Airways, or all airlines. Since getting as test for non symptomatic healthy people can be a challenge.

For Thai citizens a bit less challenging, but still need health certificates and a letter from the Thai Embassy.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php
The new requirements, as I understand them, are slightly different for Thai nationals and non-Thai citizens. And the documents must be shown before getting a boarding pass on any airline going to Thailand, not just TG.

She is a Thai national, so AFAIK she needs a certification from a Thai embassy or consulate that she is indeed a Thai citizen, and that she has a "Fit to Fly" medical certification signed by a doctor (you can't get the citizenship certification without first getting the medical cert). We got all that paperwork signed, stamped, certified and blessed today. I also booked her a ticket to BKK (via NRT) on JL for Thursday. We had a bunch of family members up and down the west coast work through all the requirements today. So unless there's some new wrinkle, I think we should be all set for launch in about 2.5 days. We will be keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks to all who helped me do my part.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:59 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Here's a summary of all the international cuts between Mar 29 and Apr 30: https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/202003/005564.html

Overall JL will still operates 36% of the international flights.

HND-DFW/ORD, NRT-YVR, KIX/NGO-HNL, HND/NRT-SGN routes see no cuts at all...for now
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:30 am

https://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/202003/005567.html

YVR, SGN, HNL didn’t survive today’s cut. Now only HND-ORD/DFW are unaffected
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:09 pm

Any thoughts on HND-LHR route? I see there are up to three flights/day (BA/NH/JL). Do you think they will all last or get cut? I have a couple of flights in April and hoping they get cancelled so I can be refunded easily.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Any thoughts on HND-LHR route? I see there are up to three flights/day (BA/NH/JL). Do you think they will all last or get cut? I have a couple of flights in April and hoping they get cancelled so I can be refunded easily.
April is already covered by the waiver, you should be able to cancel them with no problems.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
April is already covered by the waiver, you should be able to cancel them with no problems.
Not everyone is covered e.g. non 131 stock ticket
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True that....
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:29 am

correct. I’m on 125 stock, mixed BA/JAL and for a refund at least one of the legs needs to be cancelled otherwise it’s a voucher. So I’m hoping.... so many of the destinations to Europe are cancelled but LHR seems to be maintained.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:54 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Japan to ban entry from United States, China, South Korea, most of Europe
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...of-europe.html

Seems like waivers are going to have to continue for quite some more time.
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:02 am

Not sure this is the right thread to ask, but how soon are people seeing refunds back to credit card on flight refunds? I have 2 reservations with JAL--one an econ ticket with an OTA (Cheapoair) and another business class ticket with Amex Travel. Both are coming close to 1 month since flight cancellation/refund and I still haven't seen any refund to credit card yet. Should I wait any longer and do I contact the travel agencies respectively next?

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.