Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
Yes, I suspect the option or cancellation and full refund for our flights will open up in december.
It seems they are now accepting cancellations of travels up to Jan 31, 2021 departure.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202..._02/index.html

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 6, 2020 at 3:06 am Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by kentauta
It seems they are now accepting cancellations of travels up to Jan 31, 2021 departure.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202..._02/index.html
Currently I can't check our booking... (though I did the booking on the JAL website)

Please confirm the following.

• Error: We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
    The schedule of your reserved flight has been changed. However, reservation details cannot be displayed due to the following reasons:
    • Reservation includes an upgrade
    • Connecting flight must be changed due to a flight time change
    • Flight route or seat class has changed

In addition to the above, booking details will not be displayed if schedule changes occur within 48 hours of departure.
    Information on flights departing within 2 days can also be found under "Search departure and arrival information " on the "Flight Status" page.

<If your booking was made on the JAL>
    JAL will contact you to provide information if tickets must be reissued or new tickets added in advance due to schedule changes . However, JAL may provide this information at the airport if departure time is close.
    If you receive a flight reservation change notification e-mail from JAL, the e-mail will include the latest schedule information regardless of the departure date.
    When viewing this screen, you will not be able to make changes or request refunds through the website, because the screen where you can "Accept" or "Decline" as mentioned in the e-mail, will not be displayed.

<If your booking was made at travel agent or other non-JAL channels>
    Please contact the travel agent where you booked.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Today, I got a message that my flight on 12/22 was moved to 12/23. I'm pretty sure JAL cannot do this without asking if this change is okay for me, can they?
They send an email with the proposed change, if you go to manage booking, there will be an option to accept or reject.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They send an email with the proposed change, if you go to manage booking, there will be an option to accept or reject.
I would love to check but as I posted already I don't get to see my booking because of an error message (see above).
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would love to check but as I posted already I don't get to see my booking because of an error message (see above).
Then you'll either have to wait a bit. Or give them a call.

I'd call and ask for the change/outcome desired.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:37 am

I have a JAL stock ticket that has 3 of the 6 flights on it cancelled for January 2021. I don't really want to rebook for March as I have no idea if the trip will be feasible at that point (probably not). Is it possible to have the flights removed from the booking but the ticket left in an open status to rebook for free at a later date (assuming the policy is extended beyond March), or refunded later? Or do I have to decide now whether to rebook or refund?
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I have a JAL stock ticket that has 3 of the 6 flights on it cancelled for January 2021. I don't really want to rebook for March as I have no idea if the trip will be feasible at that point (probably not). Is it possible to have the flights removed from the booking but the ticket left in an open status to rebook for free at a later date (assuming the policy is extended beyond March), or refunded later? Or do I have to decide now whether to rebook or refund?
I don't think you have to decide now, and can likely wait until closer to your departure date. I'd guess they're going to publish the schedule beyond Jan once the government figures out if and how they want to welcome temporary visitors again. Your best bet is to call and see what your options are. It'd be helpful for others if you can report back as well.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Apparently Japan plans to open up tourism from April 2021 onwards.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
I don't think you have to decide now, and can likely wait until closer to your departure date. I'd guess they're going to publish the schedule beyond Jan once the government figures out if and how they want to welcome temporary visitors again. Your best bet is to call and see what your options are. It'd be helpful for others if you can report back as well.
Generally I would like to call in and share the info with others but unfortunately this one is owned by Expedia... I think the folks here will know more than whomever I get on the line

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Apparently Japan plans to open up tourism from April 2021 onwards.
This doesn't do me much good, since a fare difference will be calculated if rebooking for after March... under the current policy.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Then you'll either have to wait a bit. Or give them a call.

I'd call and ask for the change/outcome desired.
As the refund form has been updated for flights until Jan 2021, I filled out that one instead. Did this on monday, the form said it could take up to two months, but the booking was already cleared today only need to wait for the refund.
Next time we book we hopefully will do the trip (this time Corona caused the trouble, the time before we had to cancel because of pregnancy ).
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:25 am

And the money was returned to my CC today. JAL, you sure are a superb airline!
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Hoping I could get your quick input as I'm not sure who quite to blame or hold accountable for this reach around.

My +1 and I are supposed to fly from MUC to Japan on a JL ticket bought through Expedia.com in March. One of the flights was canceled and Expedia is only allowing me to book +/1 day or later in the year, but with a tariff difference (no change fee). Expedia is saying this is JL policy and there's nothing that can be done about it.

As I really like to keep this ticket and fly once Japan opens up, is there anything I can do to get the tariff difference waived? This considering the changes were done by the airline and that EU 261 regulation stipulates I can rebooked at a later date, if a flight is canceled.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Hoping I could get your quick input as I'm not sure who quite to blame or hold accountable for this reach around.

My +1 and I are supposed to fly from MUC to Japan on a JL ticket bought through Expedia.com in March. One of the flights was canceled and Expedia is only allowing me to book +/1 day or later in the year, but with a tariff difference (no change fee). Expedia is saying this is JL policy and there's nothing that can be done about it.

As I really like to keep this ticket and fly once Japan opens up, is there anything I can do to get the tariff difference waived? This considering the changes were done by the airline and that EU 261 regulation stipulates I can rebooked at a later date, if a flight is canceled.
The waivers for Corona only stretches until 31.01.2021 at the moment, so your rebooking falls under Expedia/JAL standard ticket rules and conditions. So, not being able to move it completely freely sounds normal, though having to pay an additional fare for a change of date due to a cancellation sounds a bit odd.

As it is booked through Expedia, they are your point of contact for the changes.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: JGC premier
I can see that JAL is giving special handling for domestic routes given the state of emergency, but what about international routes? I have an upcoming award flight BKK- HND departing next Tue but am thinking of cancelling given the situation.. however it seems current int’l line free cancellation/change only covers tickets issued till June 11th 2020 for departure from February which is strange. Anyone contacted JL recently?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:16 pm

Hi all - it looks like the Japan Airlines website changed some of the wording if you want to make a flight change. The flight changes are still free, but it looks like the site says you need to pay the fare difference now (I swear it wasn't there before)? I haven't had to pay any fare differences to any of the changes I've made so far so this is new... =(

Has anyone made any recent date changes and can offer their experience - if you had to pay the fare difference? It really sucks if Japan Airlines is making people pay the fare difference now =(.

Some links https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...200423/?m=mv_2 and https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/inter/200127_02/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.