Etiquette for switching seat with partner

Old Jan 15, 20, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Etiquette for switching seat with partner

Hi all, I have a purchased ticket in business while I booked a reward in premium economy for my wife on the same flight. I want to trade seats with her so she can ride in business. I was going to ask at the gate before boarding if that's ok, but just wanted to know if we'll run into any problems with this scenario (e.g. if it's forbidden by the airline to trade seats with another passenger in a different ticket class).

Many thanks
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:09 am

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, Qantas FF WP, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
I tried but they said it's against the law so wouldn't let me. The checkin person and the gate staff both said it should be fine but it's up to the crew, but the crew were very firm on it.
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
depends with the crew.
definitely a NO on US bound flights.
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I have done this many times. Just tell the crew, I doubt it will be a problem. US-bound or not.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Ok - fingers crossed it will be ok. Will circle back with the results. Thanks
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:43 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done this many times to Europe and Asia.
Ask check-in (they will ask you to ask the crew) but ask them anyways.
Use common sense- board early, speak to the person greeting you at door (normally the decision maker), be courteous, assure there will be no swaps mid-flight etc.

Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:14 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Don't try and hide it, .... like that pisses people off. Only do it once as well, don't keep switching, just do it right as you get on the plane and it should be fine.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not ask at check-in or the gate. The rule is that one may not, but crew rarely enforce it. By asking in advance, you are only drawing unwanted attention.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

These are all good points. There is no intention of switching seats mid-flight as I know that's disrespectful to other passengers and the crew. I've flown J on JAL a few times and just want my wife to be able to experience it!
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:57 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, Qantas FF WP, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
Interesting feedback. Might give it another go in the future. Looking forward to hearing how the OP goes.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Just an update on the flight, at the gate they told me it was impossible to do so. However, I checked in with head FA on the plane and she said between meal services it would be OK to swap. After a couple hours into the flight my wife took my seat (in a half empty J no less) to get some sleep, the FAs were very kind to her. I understand they are very strict with these kinds of things (due to some U.S. rule?) but was glad they could accommodate us.
Hay Yau likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:39 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by eidoriansan View Post
Just an update on the flight, at the gate they told me it was impossible to do so. However, I checked in with head FA on the plane and she said between meal services it would be OK to swap. After a couple hours into the flight my wife took my seat (in a half empty J no less) to get some sleep, the FAs were very kind to her. I understand they are very strict with these kinds of things (due to some U.S. rule?) but was glad they could accommodate us.
Not just that. If you or your neighbor somehow carries the COVID-19 virus, they will need the correct seating assignments to trace passengers with close contacts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: