Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to revamp calculation of miles for domestic flights included in intíl booking

JAL to revamp calculation of miles for domestic flights included in intíl booking

Old Jan 15, 20, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, JMB Crystal

Looks like the JEP site silently updated w/ new mileage accumulation rates going into effect in about a year and matching ANA's offering.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:57 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Sssh...we donít need an influx of new freeloaders this year before the change is introduced. They could be changing to the same model as Japan Airpass which already have different booking classes. But of course if they want to do that, they will need to lift some JEP restrictions like no seat assignment at least for the Y class booking. So far no change listed on T&C so maybe thereís a wider revamped on how domestic flights are credited since now if you have a domestic flight booked under the same PNR of an international flight, you can 100% no matter what booking class is used. But I checked JMB page, language still hasnít changed. So we will have to wait till Feb 2021 is bookable to see whatís going on.

but with 1.5x devaluation and this change, probably not make sense for me to use JEP anymore.
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Isn't it about time that revenue and earnings was matched up a bit?
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Isn't it about time that revenue and earnings was matched up a bit?
Well, thereís cheaper Y ticket on HND-OKA that earns way more than 30%. So not exactly aligned but a fair adjustment given you are allowed to book prime flights at deep discount but trade off is less miles.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Well, thereís cheaper Y ticket on HND-OKA that earns way more than 30%. So not exactly aligned but a fair adjustment given you are allowed to book prime flights at deep discount but trade off is less miles.
In normal online trade?
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:20 pm

OK, JAL was slow to update its website...this is a bigger change than just affecting JEP. It's a revamp of how to calculate miles for domestic flights included in international booking. JAL used to give 100% miles to these flights and it won't be the case after Jan 31 2021.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/earn/tr...light/jal.html
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

It'll be interesting to see what booking classes the domestic legs get for each international booking class. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks when they become bookable.
Old Jan 16, 20, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by lokisnake View Post
It'll be interesting to see what booking classes the domestic legs get for each international booking class. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks when they become bookable.
J and F are missing from the chart though. IIRC, certain fares will book you into F and J fare buckets. Are they going to get rid of those and always book domestic connections in economy? That wonít play well with people spending thousands of dollar to get an international business or first class ticket
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm guessing the way F and J works will be functionally the same. The base rate is still 100%, and domestic F and J are additional bonuses of 50%/10% on top of the booking class rate, and probably act as a cabin bonus on top of the base.

This would mean the bonus FOP/miles received from a F/J upgrade would stay the same as today. For example, a G fare at 30% would get 80% of base miles if upgraded to F.
Old Jan 16, 20, 5:15 pm

2018, 90% of flights with JAL
2019, 50% of flights with JAL

I guess it is time to give up on FF at all.
They will need to fight a bloodier and costlier war price.
Old Jan 16, 20, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by jgchiker View Post
2018, 90% of flights with JAL
2019, 50% of flights with JAL

I guess it is time to give up on FF at all.
They will need to fight a bloodier and costlier war price.
I am going to give up doing MR to get JGCP/Diamond. My regular trips alone will get me Sapphire without any JEP or domestic tickets. Time to burn my miles before they expire after I lose my JGCP/Diamond status. Even if I do a MR, JEP simply doesn't make sense. Might as well buy premium ticket from partners.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: