Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Tips for getting an empty row of seats in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

Due to a last minute booking, I find myself in coach. I chose 48H since that group of seats is open. JAL no longer allows those seats to be selected and Expertflyer shows they are blocked. Considering the flight is in three days (JL 1 on 1/10), is there a good chance those seats will remain open?

I'll keep checking EF before check-in to see if those seats fill. If they do, I'm considering a gamble by sitting in row 57. But that may end up being the worst seat!

Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: Jal Global Club
Hi Eethan,

JAL does have an informal rule to block empty seats next to OW upper status in coach 72 hours prior to departure in case those are still not allocated. By experience, they do release those at airport check-in on case by case: if the other seats are all booked (Japanese sometimes don't/can't select seats in advance) or if there is a couple without assigned seats yet and row 57 already assigned by then.

All that to say, you are in a good position to get the empty seats next to yours if the flight capacity allows it.

PS: If you try allocating your seat to 57, you will note that they will release all row 48 while blocking all the row 57.

Have a safe flight to Japan !
heartface likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Kashima
Hi Eethan,

JAL does have an informal rule to block empty seats next to OW upper status in coach 72 hours prior to departure in case those are still not allocated. By experience, they do release those at airport check-in on case by case: if the other seats are all booked (Japanese sometimes don't/can't select seats in advance) or if there is a couple without assigned seats yet and row 57 already assigned by then.

All that to say, you are in a good position to get the empty seats next to yours if the flight capacity allows it.

PS: If you try allocating your seat to 57, you will note that they will release all row 48 while blocking all the row 57.

Have a safe flight to Japan !
OP couldn't even select 45J. I highly doubt OP has OW upper status.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Thanks for the info Kashima!

And Jalpak is right - I am only OW Ruby, but it seems that JL has blocked my whole row of seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.