Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JL business class: which seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

JL business class: which seat?

Here's seatmap from expertflyer, which seat would you pick? Currently in 8k. Not sure if 7A is actually open/available to me. If 7A is open should I take it? If it's not, what is next best choice?

Also this is an overnight flight leaving at 1am, am I correct there's no dinner?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Personally, I would go for 7A if you do not have status to access the mini-cabin at row 5 (but then again, I do have a thing for wanting the bulkhead row). Ultimately though, I think you will find that any window seat is great.

Not 100% certain on the dinner question, but I think it depends on the flight time. I.e. on shorter overnight flights like BKK, they only serve a very small snack after take-off for those who want it, and then breakfast.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
8K or 7A not much of a difference. If you can pick 8K you should also be able to get 7A if you prefer.

JAL normally does not have full dinner on the late night departures. But JAL has all of their menus on the website. You don't mention the route, but if it is one that has been retimed in connection with the Haneda expansion from March 2020, you may still have to wait a bit to be able to see the menus for those rotations.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:06 am

As CPH-Flyer mentioned the menus can be accessed on their website here. If your flight is far out at least the current available menus will give you an idea of meal/dining times and availability.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I'd actually rather have 8A/K than 7A/K. I was just in 7K ORD->NRT a few weeks ago and was looking forward to having the window bulkhead seat, but I found that a lot of passengers queuing for the lavatories would stand in my aisle opening, which was pretty intrusive.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
8K or 7A not much of a difference. If you can pick 8K you should also be able to get 7A if you prefer.

JAL normally does not have full dinner on the late night departures. But JAL has all of their menus on the website. You don't mention the route, but if it is one that has been retimed in connection with the Haneda expansion from March 2020, you may still have to wait a bit to be able to see the menus for those rotations.
Does anyone find 8A/8K to be very noisy as you're literally right next to the engine, especially during takeoff? for that reason alone i usually prefer row 7 instead

regarding late night departures, i'm really curious on what JL3's catering (in J) will be like once they move to 1:30am departure out of JFK. i have that flight booked in April so I guess I'll find out soon enough
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bszeto
Does anyone find 8A/8K to be very noisy as you're literally right next to the engine, especially during takeoff? for that reason alone i usually prefer row 7 instead

regarding late night departures, i'm really curious on what JL3's catering (in J) will be like once they move to 1:30am departure out of JFK. i have that flight booked in April so I guess I'll find out soon enough
I don't find much of a difference in 7 or 8 in that aspect. But as I am usually wearing excellent noise cancelling head phones, the engines never bother me when I am in the seat.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by bszeto

I was in 8K on a 77W a few months ago, and one thing I didn't like was the vibration. It was ok when I am at the upright position, but in the bed position, the vibration reached my noise-cancelling head phone via the pillow deteriorating low-frequency noise cancellation. Later, I sat on 10A and it was almost equally bad. I am curious if this is any better in row 7 or forward.

On IB A333 and AA 789 I recently flew in J, I didn't have this problem at all.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:03 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Does anybody else find that the A and K seats have significantly more airflow/are cooler than any other seats? I found it to be the case on my last flight as I was going back and forth between A and C to help my 4 year old son and wonder if that’s always the case?

i guess it would make sense due to wall/window being cool and the air vents near the floor along the walls.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hp12c
Does anybody else find that the A and K seats have significantly more airflow/are cooler than any other seats? I found it to be the case on my last flight as I was going back and forth between A and C to help my 4 year old son and wonder if that’s always the case?

i guess it would make sense due to wall/window being cool and the air vents near the floor along the walls.
If you are on the non sunny side, or on a night flight in general, then yes. And that is clearly due to the walls being cold.
sassysan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't actually mind the E seats. The reality is the partitions will go up as soon as you take off, so it's not like you're going to see the other PAX. It's a very nice cocoon like feel, and I've found it easier to get to sleep in those seats.
hp12c likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCBunny
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't actually mind the E seats. The reality is the partitions will go up as soon as you take off, so it's not like you're going to see the other PAX. It's a very nice cocoon like feel, and I've found it easier to get to sleep in those seats.
I don't mind the E seats either. I like the windows better. As I like to look out of them. But on a night flight E is fine.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:50 am

Slightly off-topic & dumb question: what happens if two passengers try to operate the divider between them in opposite directions?
AJchang, Stephen_L and Boringbarry like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:55 am

I asked for 8A as EF showed it as available and not blocked but JAL wouldn't let me choose it. Gave me 9K which I'm happy with. Any idea why they wouldn't give me 8A? Just curious.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:53 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by JCC87
I asked for 8A as EF showed it as available and not blocked but JAL wouldn't let me choose it. Gave me 9K which I'm happy with. Any idea why they wouldn't give me 8A? Just curious.
Seat availability is based on fare and status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.