JL business class: which seat?

Old Jan 6, 20, 8:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 52
JL business class: which seat?

Here's seatmap from expertflyer, which seat would you pick? Currently in 8k. Not sure if 7A is actually open/available to me. If 7A is open should I take it? If it's not, what is next best choice?

Also this is an overnight flight leaving at 1am, am I correct there's no dinner?

Thanks
Boringbarry is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 8:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,018
Personally, I would go for 7A if you do not have status to access the mini-cabin at row 5 (but then again, I do have a thing for wanting the bulkhead row). Ultimately though, I think you will find that any window seat is great.

Not 100% certain on the dinner question, but I think it depends on the flight time. I.e. on shorter overnight flights like BKK, they only serve a very small snack after take-off for those who want it, and then breakfast.
Boringbarry likes this.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 9:00 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
8K or 7A not much of a difference. If you can pick 8K you should also be able to get 7A if you prefer.

JAL normally does not have full dinner on the late night departures. But JAL has all of their menus on the website. You don't mention the route, but if it is one that has been retimed in connection with the Haneda expansion from March 2020, you may still have to wait a bit to be able to see the menus for those rotations.
Boringbarry likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 1:06 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LAX
Posts: 1,958
As CPH-Flyer mentioned the menus can be accessed on their website here. If your flight is far out at least the current available menus will give you an idea of meal/dining times and availability.
Boringbarry likes this.
steveman518 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 3:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: San Jose, California
Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 51
I'd actually rather have 8A/K than 7A/K. I was just in 7K ORD->NRT a few weeks ago and was looking forward to having the window bulkhead seat, but I found that a lot of passengers queuing for the lavatories would stand in my aisle opening, which was pretty intrusive.
sassysan is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
8K or 7A not much of a difference. If you can pick 8K you should also be able to get 7A if you prefer.

JAL normally does not have full dinner on the late night departures. But JAL has all of their menus on the website. You don't mention the route, but if it is one that has been retimed in connection with the Haneda expansion from March 2020, you may still have to wait a bit to be able to see the menus for those rotations.
Does anyone find 8A/8K to be very noisy as you're literally right next to the engine, especially during takeoff? for that reason alone i usually prefer row 7 instead

regarding late night departures, i'm really curious on what JL3's catering (in J) will be like once they move to 1:30am departure out of JFK. i have that flight booked in April so I guess I'll find out soon enough
bszeto is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:58 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by bszeto View Post
Does anyone find 8A/8K to be very noisy as you're literally right next to the engine, especially during takeoff? for that reason alone i usually prefer row 7 instead

regarding late night departures, i'm really curious on what JL3's catering (in J) will be like once they move to 1:30am departure out of JFK. i have that flight booked in April so I guess I'll find out soon enough
I don't find much of a difference in 7 or 8 in that aspect. But as I am usually wearing excellent noise cancelling head phones, the engines never bother me when I am in the seat.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SAN, TYO, OSA
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by bszeto View Post
Does anyone find 8A/8K to be very noisy as you're literally right next to the engine, especially during takeoff? for that reason alone i usually prefer row 7 instead

regarding late night departures, i'm really curious on what JL3's catering (in J) will be like once they move to 1:30am departure out of JFK. i have that flight booked in April so I guess I'll find out soon enough
I was in 8K on a 77W a few months ago, and one thing I didn't like was the vibration. It was ok when I am at the upright position, but in the bed position, the vibration reached my noise-cancelling head phone via the pillow deteriorating low-frequency noise cancellation. Later, I sat on 10A and it was almost equally bad. I am curious if this is any better in row 7 or forward.

On IB A333 and AA 789 I recently flew in J, I didn't have this problem at all.
kentauta is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:03 pm
  #9  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond;
Posts: 160
Does anybody else find that the A and K seats have significantly more airflow/are cooler than any other seats? I found it to be the case on my last flight as I was going back and forth between A and C to help my 4 year old son and wonder if thatís always the case?

i guess it would make sense due to wall/window being cool and the air vents near the floor along the walls.
hp12c is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:29 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by hp12c View Post
Does anybody else find that the A and K seats have significantly more airflow/are cooler than any other seats? I found it to be the case on my last flight as I was going back and forth between A and C to help my 4 year old son and wonder if thatís always the case?

i guess it would make sense due to wall/window being cool and the air vents near the floor along the walls.
If you are on the non sunny side, or on a night flight in general, then yes. And that is clearly due to the walls being cold.
sassysan likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 7:16 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 182
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't actually mind the E seats. The reality is the partitions will go up as soon as you take off, so it's not like you're going to see the other PAX. It's a very nice cocoon like feel, and I've found it easier to get to sleep in those seats.
hp12c likes this.
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 8:24 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't actually mind the E seats. The reality is the partitions will go up as soon as you take off, so it's not like you're going to see the other PAX. It's a very nice cocoon like feel, and I've found it easier to get to sleep in those seats.
I don't mind the E seats either. I like the windows better. As I like to look out of them. But on a night flight E is fine.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SAN, TYO, OSA
Posts: 76
Slightly off-topic & dumb question: what happens if two passengers try to operate the divider between them in opposite directions?
Boringbarry likes this.
kentauta is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:55 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
I asked for 8A as EF showed it as available and not blocked but JAL wouldn't let me choose it. Gave me 9K which I'm happy with. Any idea why they wouldn't give me 8A? Just curious.
JCC87 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:53 am
  #15  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,278
Originally Posted by JCC87 View Post
I asked for 8A as EF showed it as available and not blocked but JAL wouldn't let me choose it. Gave me 9K which I'm happy with. Any idea why they wouldn't give me 8A? Just curious.
Seat availability is based on fare and status
JALPak is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: