NRT connection

Old Jan 6, 20, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
NRT connection

Morning, I'm traveling DPS>NRT on Garuda on a Skyteam award ticket in C, arriving in NRT at 0840. Connecting same day to JAL 10, NRT>ORD, at 1050. From research online it appears that Garuda can interline my luggage (2 bags) to JAL in NRT provided I can demonstrate I have the booking on JAL. I am hoping that I can do online check in while still in DPS so that I won't have to go to a check in counter in NRT and pass through Japanese immigration.

Does anyone have suggestions about the best way to do this? If they won't interline the bags for some reason, I have to go outside and check in again? Is there a transfer desk where I can avoid actually entering Japan to do the check in? Thank you!
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC View Post
Morning, I'm traveling DPS>NRT on Garuda on a Skyteam award ticket in C, arriving in NRT at 0840. Connecting same day to JAL 10, NRT>ORD, at 1050. From research online it appears that Garuda can interline my luggage (2 bags) to JAL in NRT provided I can demonstrate I have the booking on JAL. I am hoping that I can do online check in while still in DPS so that I won't have to go to a check in counter in NRT and pass through Japanese immigration.

Does anyone have suggestions about the best way to do this? If they won't interline the bags for some reason, I have to go outside and check in again? Is there a transfer desk where I can avoid actually entering Japan to do the check in? Thank you!
If Garuda can check your luggage through, you can do airside transfer from terminal to terminal. You should check in online before departing DPS so you don't get caught in the 60 minutes check in cut off.

If you can't print a mobile boarding you can use your e ticket print out to show at transit security and terminal transfer.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt, UA PP
I think Garuda and Jal in different terminals at NRT (1 and 2 respectively), so you i think you need to exit and either take the bus from one terminal to another.
I do not think you can do it airside, but not positive.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by cliburn View Post
I think Garuda and Jal in different terminals at NRT (1 and 2 respectively), so you i think you need to exit and either take the bus from one terminal to another.
I do not think you can do it airside, but not positive.
There is an airside bus. All that is needed is a confirmed ticket. Boarding passes not needed.
cliburn likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Great information. I'll print the e-ticket and then try to do check in from the hotel in DPS and print something. If not, I'll have the e-ticket. I will research the airside bus at NRT to transfer terminals. Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 6, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
You will arrive at NRT Terminal 1 North on GA (Garuda Indonesia). Your JL (Japan Airlines) flight will depart from Terminal 2. As you deplane you walk along with all other arriving passengers till you reach "International Connection." At 'International Connection" you will show either your JL boarding pass or JL e-ticket printout. You will go through the security at "International Connection" and you will directed to bus stop No. 28 which is intra-terminal transfer bus to Terminal 2. The bus will take you to Terminal 2 and once at Terminal 2 just head to the gate for your ORD flight.

If you could not obtained the boarding pass for your JL flight then once you arrive at Terminal 2 there should be a counter for JL where you can get your boarding pass. Your connection is 2 hrs. and 10 min. If GA at DPS can through check your luggage to ORD then there should be not much of a problem. If GA at DPS cannot through check your luggage then you have to go through the passport control at Terminal 1 North, get your checked luggage, go though customs, take intra-terminal transfer bus to Terminal 2, check-in at Terminal 2 with JL, go though the security, go though the passport control, then head to the gate for ORD flight.

NRT International Connection

Just in case if GA at DPS cannot through check your luggage and has to go through the passport control at NRT, does your passport allow visa waiver entry to Japan? Your passport issuing country that is....
Old Jan 8, 20, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for these detailed instructions. Very helpful! My passport allows visa-free entry into Japan, so that should be OK. However, I emailed with Garuda customer service <[email protected]> and dictated a note about interlining the bags and they said they said they would add the note and sent me a screenshot. So I am very hopeful GA will tag the bags all the way to DCA on JL/AA. It sounds like the connection will be good if my GA flight is on time. I'm saving the info you've given me. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: