Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

No refund/death policy? Dad got really ill and then passed away.

Old Dec 30, 19, 4:34 am
Original Poster

My wife bought our tickets to Japan without any travel insurance via trip.com. I had to fly back home instead of Japan because my dad suddenly got really ill. He just passed today. Iíve been back and forth trying to talk to both trip and jal all christmas. Trip.com said they could only refund the taxes but that was before he passed away.

Is there a way to get a full refund? Theyíve been pretty cold on the phone.
Old Dec 30, 19, 4:54 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
My condolences for your loss. Refund has to be processed through trip.com and there’s not much JL can do about it as you bought the ticket through a 3rd party. JL fares usually have waiver for penalty in situation like this. Check the cancellation section of your fare rules to see if it has language similar to this

Waived For Illness/Injury Of Passenger Or Accompanying Passenger. Waived For Death Of Passenger/Accompanying Passenger Or Immediate Family Member Not Traveling Together. Waiver For Illness/Injury Or Death Must Be Substantiated By A Valid Medical Or Death Certificate.
Even if the fare rules have this listed, trip.com can still impose their own policy/penalty on top of JL’s fare rules.
Old Dec 30, 19, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by snazzybunny View Post
My wife bought our tickets to Japan without any travel insurance via trip.com. I had to fly back home instead of Japan because my dad suddenly got really ill. He just passed today. Iíve been back and forth trying to talk to both trip and jal all christmas. Trip.com said they could only refund the taxes but that was before he passed away.

My condolences on the passing of your father.

Unfortunately, there are no options beyond the general terms ond conditions associated with the specific ticket. Which is probably as trip.com already offered the taxes levied on the ticket. This is where travel insurance is needed.
Old Dec 30, 19, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by snazzybunny View Post

Condolences, but 3 questions to clarify your situation and hopefully get concrete advice.
1. Was your dad traveling on the JAL ticket?
->typically CoC or ticket rules waive cancel fees for passenger death.
no waiver for death of kin (otherwise everyone will use this excuse with questionable death certificates)

2. Did you fly to Japan and then back home (this missing the return portion), or did you totally miss the flight to Japan?
->if the former, itís a question of residual value in the ticket. Typically not much.
->if the later, dud you cancel before departure, or did you simply not show up? Either cancel or no show, the penalties are in your fare rules of the ticket. Please look them up or check with your travel agent (trip.com). The penalties may be worth more than the ticket, or the clause may be non refundable in case of cancel/no show.

3. What do you expect JAL and/or your travel agent (trip.com) to do? Bend the fare rules because a death of kin happened?
->Theyíd run out of business since everyone would use this as a loophole to get out of ticket penalties.
->unfortunately, itís exactly these types of situations where the insurance kicks in. If you are comfortable with risking losing the whole ticket by not taking out any travel insurance, then Iím afraid that the choice was clear. Pending #2 above, accept and move on, live and learn.

again, condolences to your family.
Old Jan 3, 20, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry for your loss. Do you have insurance through the credit card you used to book your flight? Many cards have some travel insurance benefits that might cover you in this situation.
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately you need to look at both the JL COC and the fare rules for the specific ticket as well as anything which Trip has over and above those. While this may be a tough time for you and thus a task to pass off to someone else, either you or that someone really needs to sit down and read very carefully through both sets of conditions. That will answer the question of whether you are entitled to a refund and, if so, how much. Do not accept the word of front line agents,

If the rules do not provide for a full refund, you are then down to a gesture which might include a rebooking for a later date rather than a refund. But, do not count on it and no matter what, it's critical to understand what you are due as of right and what you are seeking.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:16 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
My condolences on the passing of your father.

Last year, I had to reschedule my surgery due to asthma.

That journey involves JAL and BA, booked separately. I asked both JAL and BA to reschedule my flight, JAL asked for a doctor’s letter and then refunded my flight without any deduction, while BA charged me about 50% of the original fare to rebook.

JAL does not have to refund me; the fare rules stipulated no changes and no refund. My tickets were booked directly with JAL and BA respectively though. There is no harm asking, the worst thing they can say is no.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Sorry to hear of loss

Really surprised JAL doesn't have death policy.
I confirmed this, booking a dummy ticket between HKG and NRT on cheapest fare in the middle of March.

I thought KE had death policy.
Fact checked - they didn't.

So it'd be my insurance if something similar happened to family member of mine (hope not).

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 5, 20 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 6, 20, 9:49 am

Some JL fare rules seem to have it and others don't.

Ask trip.com for a copy of the JL fare rules. Use email if at all possible and not phone. If you can tell us the route and fare basis someone could probably look it up for you.

E.g. for JFK-NRT

WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER/ACCOMPANYING PASSENGER OR IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER NOT TRAVELING TOGETHER.

WAIVER FOR ILLNESS/INJURY OR DEATH MUST BE SUBSTANTIATED BY A VALID MEDICAL OR DEATH CERTIFICATE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: