FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   getting checked luggage in layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2001571-getting-checked-luggage-layover.html)

Fluffy_FLing Dec 28, 2019 8:34 am

getting checked luggage in layover?

Have a 20hour overnight layover in NRT before flying to LAX. Can I have one of my checked-in luggage pulled out in NRT, and then checked it in again the next day?

ETHFlyer Dec 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Where are you coming from before? If it's a domestic connection you are required to get your luggage. Pretty much all airlines will not check your baggage for an overnight layover, so you are expected to get it after your flight.

CPH-Flyer Dec 28, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fluffy_FLing (Post 31883360)
Have a 20hour overnight layover in NRT before flying to LAX. Can I have one of my checked-in luggage pulled out in NRT, and then checked it in again the next day?

Originally Posted by ETHFlyer (Post 31884290)
Where are you coming from before? If it's a domestic connection you are required to get your luggage. Pretty much all airlines will not check your baggage for an overnight layover, so you are expected to get it after your flight.

One thing is that NRT is not a 24 hour airport, so you will need to leave the terminal and go land side for the connection.

But as with many other airports, any international connection up to 24 hours means that as a default your luggage is checked through to the final destination. I would guess that JAL can short check one of your bags, so you can have it for overnight use, but I don't know.

Fluffy_FLing Dec 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31884480)
One thing is that NRT is not a 24 hour airport, so you will need to leave the terminal and go land side for the connection.

But as with many other airports, any international connection up to 24 hours means that as a default your luggage is checked through to the final destination. I would guess that JAL can short check one of your bags, so you can have it for overnight use, but I don't know.

Thanks for your input.. il keep everyone here posted for future reference. My flight is in T-25hr

Fluffy_FLing Dec 29, 2019 9:41 pm

They allowed me to have some luggage tagged NRT and others tagged LAX. Though this is a 20hr over night layover with the airport not open 24/7

CPH-Flyer Dec 30, 2019 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Fluffy_FLing (Post 31887937)
They allowed me to have some luggage tagged NRT and others tagged LAX. Though this is a 20hr over night layover with the airport not open 24/7

As expected, luggage below 24 hours will be checked though, but still possible to get a bag for a 20 hour stop. 👍

triplefives Jan 1, 2020 5:42 am

Had a 23 hour layover at HND from HKG before continuing to SFO. They gave me the option of checking which bags I wanted through to SFO and which ones to HND.