Another passport question...

Old Dec 27, 19, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Another passport question...

I really should know the answer to this, but have got myself all muddled. I am flying JAL YVR-HAN in April and was planning to use my EU passport for check-in on that leg as Vietnam has a visa exemption for trips <15 days with that passport. Using my Canadian one would require paying for an eVisa and applying 3 days in advance.

The part that's throwing me off, will I be allowed to check-in with a different passport on the return leg? I'll be stopping a week in Japan on my way back and could use the EU or my Canadian passport there, the problem is I must use the Canadian one for the final leg back to YVR.

Will JAL allow me to change passports for each checkin? Am I likely to be denied boarding at YVR because I am using an EU passport to enter Vietnam (ie an uncommon exception for a Japanese airline)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 19, 9:35 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Make sure you pass entry and exit immigration on the same passport (Say, EU) in Vietnam, and same passport (can be Canadian) you should be fine - as long as the APIS information entered at check in matches the passport you intend to use for immigration in the destination country.

You can probably help the situation at check in by explaining what you intend to do and at the same time presenting both passports.
Old Dec 27, 19, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
Make sure you pass entry and exit immigration on the same passport (Say, EU) in Vietnam, and same passport (can be Canadian) you should be fine - as long as the APIS information entered at check in matches the passport you intend to use for immigration in the destination country.

You can probably help the situation at check in by explaining what you intend to do and at the same time presenting both passports.
Oh I definitely know to use same passport at immigration - that one can get you in lots of trouble. And I've done lots to EU where APIS doesn't match, I've just never changed APIS info mid-ticket. Or does that information only get stored per check-in?
Old Dec 28, 19, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
It should not be a problem as you break the journey in Japan. Just present your Canadian passport at check iin when leaving Japan. The information will be used as APIS but not for exit control I. Japan. In the US. UK, or Mexico where the exit control is via your passport information at check in, it could be a problem. Probably more countries than that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: