San Diego takeoff

Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question San Diego takeoff

So I was at Liberty Station yesterday watching the planes land over Point Loma (and take off over downtown San Diego). Of course that's not the usual direction, but the weather's been a bit wonky for a couple days.

Then for awhile there were no landings, and suddenly the Japan Airlines 787 rotated and took off (the "normal" direction) over Point Loma. I thought maybe the weather/winds had changed, and the planes were going to go 'back to normal', but planes continued to take off over the city from the Point Loma end of the runway. Planes continued to land over Point Loma.

I'm not too knowledgeable on flight ops, but does anybody know the reason why JAL was allowed to take off over the ocean, while everything else was taking off over downtown?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The heavies must take off to the west at SAN due to elevated terrain to the east.
SKT-DK likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.