JAL J - NRT to ORD

Old Dec 15, 19, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

JAL J - NRT to ORD

Anyone flown this recently in J? Will be doing my first flight in February and am curious what my expectations should be. I've got 8A reserved at the moment, #8 .

Last edited by Sandeep1; Dec 16, 19 at 1:42 pm
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I am not entirely sure what you mean with a window aisle seat. I am guessing you mean a C or H seat. Try to see if an A or K seats gets available if they are not right now.

What to expect, a very good main meal, a la carte options from there. Including structured option of a pre arrival set. There is no fixed timing for the second meal or snacks, you order when you'd like it. Though about 1.5 hours before landing, they will remind you of last order. And generally very good service.

If you plan to sleep, there is an air weave mattress pad in the overhead bin. Lately there has been a few people in the forum not realising this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:38 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Not to hijack this thread, but how about the ORD-NRT service? - I am doing that as part of a devilishly long trip from BKK to ORD and return in February.
On a side note, currently have 5C on the 777 operating the flight as I usually prefer aisle seats. Contemplating whether to move to the A seat instead, but worried that the all-aisle config could be substituted?
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but how about the ORD-NRT service? - I am doing that as part of a devilishly long trip from BKK to ORD and return in February.
On a side note, currently have 5C on the 777 operating the flight as I usually prefer aisle seats. Contemplating whether to move to the A seat instead, but worried that the all-aisle config could be substituted?
JAL only has one configuration on their 77W, so within the same type there is no chance of loosing aisle access. In the current fleet only the old 787-8 does not have all aisle access. (domestic fleet excluded) so your overall chance of ending on a plane without all aisle access is hypothetical.

Other than the food being less good out of the US than out of Japan, not really much difference between the service on the tro flights. The anytime menu may have a few more options due to the longer flight time, and it being a day flight.
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JAL only has one configuration on their 77W, so within the same type there is no chance of loosing aisle access. In the current fleet only the old 787-8 does not have all aisle access. (domestic fleet excluded) so your overall chance of ending on a plane without all aisle access is hypothetical.

Other than the food being less good out of the US than out of Japan, not really much difference between the service on the tro flights. The anytime menu may have a few more options due to the longer flight time, and it being a day flight.
Good to know! I am having the pleasure of both 787-8 configs on that trip too, as it will be BKK-NRT-SAN-ORD-NRT-BKK. Just thinking about it makes me tired..!
And the reason for the crazy 24-hour-each-way-trip? - it was the only routing that would get me to Chicago in one day rather than having to waste my entire weekend

Not expecting great things regarding the food out of the US, but usually ex-BKK and especially ex-NRT is great.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
Good to know! I am having the pleasure of both 787-8 configs on that trip too, as it will be BKK-NRT-SAN-ORD-NRT-BKK. Just thinking about it makes me tired..!
And the reason for the crazy 24-hour-each-way-trip? - it was the only routing that would get me to Chicago in one day rather than having to waste my entire weekend

Not expecting great things regarding the food out of the US, but usually ex-BKK and especially ex-NRT is great.
It is still JAL food....
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I am not entirely sure what you mean with a window aisle seat. I am guessing you mean a C or H seat. Try to see if an A or K seats gets available if they are not right now.

What to expect, a very good main meal, a la carte options from there. Including structured option of a pre arrival set. There is no fixed timing for the second meal or snacks, you order when you'd like it. Though about 1.5 hours before landing, they will remind you of last order. And generally very good service.

If you plan to sleep, there is an air weave mattress pad in the overhead bin. Lately there has been a few people in the forum not realising this.
Yeah I'm not sure what I meant by window aisle seat either, haha. I was thinking direct aisle access but I guess all the seats have that. I've got 8A reserved right now.

So it sounds like the food and service are pretty solid. Is the hard product nice?
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure what I meant by window aisle seat either, haha. I was thinking direct aisle access but I guess all the seats have that. I've got 8A reserved right now.

So it sounds like the food and service are pretty solid. Is the hard product nice?
The hard product is one of the best J seats I would say. Especially the window seats.
Sandeep1 and SKT-DK like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: