FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Business cabin oversold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1998680-business-cabin-oversold.html)

ashwinbrao Dec 6, 2019 5:39 pm

Business cabin oversold

I was supposed to fly out from San Diego tomorrow in J on a confirmed ticket with an onward connection to Osaka. This morning, I got a call from JAL asking me if I would be willing to change to the LAX-KIX flight in J tomorrow as Business was oversold on the SAN-NRT flight. I would be reimbursed for the ground transportation to LAX and given $200 in compensation. I agreed as this was not going to significantly disrupt my travel plans. However, I had a question to folks in this forum about overbooking in J. I was under the impression that this was not common practice -

Also, had I refused, I am curious about the odds of me being bumped of the flight (I am Exp Plat on AA and the original flight was ticketed with AA flight numbers)?

Often1 Dec 6, 2019 6:22 pm

Bumped off the flight? Close to zero. The worst, presuming that JL could not find a volunteer, would have been a downgrade, possibly forcing someone else to be denied boarding.

$200 was a ridiculously low offer.

ashwinbrao Dec 6, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31814041)
Bumped off the flight? Close to zero. The worst, presuming that JL could not find a volunteer, would have been a downgrade, possibly forcing someone else to be denied boarding.

My mistake..I meant to ask. about my odds of being downgraded to coach ..would my AA status have helped in protecting me from being downgraded?

coolfish1103 Dec 6, 2019 7:11 pm

$200 is ridiculously low and they are making you change airport on both ends?

MSPeconomist Dec 6, 2019 7:18 pm

Either way, it's one connection, NRT or LAX, although OP might prefer the domestic Osaka airport rather that KIX. EDIT: OP is using paid ground transportation to LAX, not flying that distance today or tomorrow.

My concern is that $200 barely covers an extra night of hotel and meals, but JAL might be thinking that OP stays at home one more night rather than going to LAX for an overnight connection. There's still the apparently loss of a day in Japan and possible hotel deposits, etc.

hp12c Dec 6, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 (Post 31814136)

OP was originally scheduled SAN-NRT-KIXITM and changed to LAX-KIX. In the end, OP is mostly trading a connection in NRT for a 2-3 hour cab ride.

Forgot ITM is domestic

ashwinbrao Dec 6, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 (Post 31814136)

The airport change in Osaka is not a big deal - I will now go to Kansai instead of Itami. Changing from SAN to LAX is a pain but my total door to door time is not changing a lot (may be an hr at the most). I am less concerned about the $200 offer but am surprised that they reached out to me to make this change.

Had I been flying on AA metal as an EXP,, I probably would not be on the list of possible people being downgraded (unless an FAM took my seat at the gate). I was under the impression that AA and JL had some sort of cross elite recognition as part of their JV.. If that is not true, then I would rather fly on AA metal to prevent situations like this. Not a big deal but something to bear in mind given that AA promotes the JV as being metal neutral

coolfish1103 Dec 6, 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ashwinbrao (Post 31814158)
The airport change in Osaka is not a big deal - I will now go to Kansai instead of Itami. Changing from SAN to LAX is a pain but my total door to door time is not changing a lot (may be an hr at the most). I am less concerned about the $200 offer but am surprised that they reached out to me to make this change.

Had I been flying on AA metal as an EXP,, I probably would not be on the list of possible people being downgraded (unless an FAM took my seat at the gate). I was under the impression that AA and JL had some sort of cross elite recognition as part of their JV.. If that is not true, then I would rather fly on AA metal to prevent situations like this. Not a big deal but something to bear in mind given that AA promotes the JV as being metal neutral

I don't think you will be downgraded unless everyone is unwilling to move. If you are on paid booking I would expect you will be higher bucket than award booking.

JALPak Dec 6, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 (Post 31814212)
I don't think you will be downgraded unless everyone is unwilling to move. If you are on paid booking I would expect you will be higher bucket than award booking.

I wouldn’t say it’s not a downgrade with that horrible seat on JL69 vs SS on JL65 ;)

coolfish1103 Dec 7, 2019 6:11 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31814322)
I wouldn’t say it’s not a downgrade with that horrible seat on JL69 vs SS on JL65 ;)

Maybe I am wrong, but I think he meant downgraded to Economy.

JALPak Dec 7, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 (Post 31815134)
Maybe I am wrong, but I think he meant downgraded to Economy.

I know but I am saying his seat has been downgraded even travel class remains the same

ashwinbrao Dec 7, 2019 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31815605)
I know but I am saying his seat has been downgraded even travel class remains the same

I am just glad i am not in coach. :)

ETHFlyer Dec 7, 2019 3:27 pm

I don't know what to say. $200 is just ridiculous, and I can't believe anyone would take that.

jerseytom Dec 7, 2019 3:51 pm

Maybe a better question for those who say $200 is crazy low - how much would you think a reasonable number would be?

CPH-Flyer Dec 7, 2019 5:58 pm

Paid transport to LAX, arrival probably earlier in Osaka as the connection flight is not needed. Though also have to leave home a good deal earlier to make it to LAX. Yeah 200 bucks is not much, but the inconvenience is also not great.

I might have asked if I could get a SAN LAX flight instead of the drive, but I guess that depends greatly on where OP is located. Much north of Del Mar and there is probably a time loss by going to SAN and flying. Maybe even from a bit further south than that.