FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Gripes about JAL at Itami and a ridiculous intl-only JAL app (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1998283-gripes-about-jal-itami-ridiculous-intl-only-jal-app.html)

TA Dec 4, 2019 3:50 pm

Gripes about JAL at Itami and a ridiculous intl-only JAL app

Apologies in advance that this is a bit of a grab bag of gripes about a recent (last week) experience with JAL at Itami.

Flying out domestically at Itami, I arrive at the airport to find things under a lot of construction, which has the side effect of putting a bunch of the security lines into temporary makeshift mode of poor line organization and efficiency:
  1. The security lines have only 1 small table right at the x-ray, causing delays as people only have a few seconds to get their things together before delaying others
  2. The scanning of the boarding pass at security happens right at the belongings being sent into the x-ray tunnel, leading to major inefficiency as the screener has trouble scanning, waiting for the person to get the BP out, or loses efficiency in waiting to put things into the tunnel until the BP is scanned
  3. I scan my electronic BP once, put it into the tray, and then (I have to say, very Japanese process-like), asks me to show the BP yet again when I have clearly just scanned it.

To top it all off, after racing through to get to my flight, I find that my BP doesn't have a gate # on it, and in looking around for flight status monitors find that there are none in the current state of construction post-security.

As a result, I try to look up my flight in the JAL app, but find that the app only displays flight arrival/departure information for international flights. Why is this so dumb? Only in racing to find the customer service desk can I find out my gate.

Anyway, minor gripes I wanted to share, since I don't know the mechanism to pass this feedback to the airport.

CPH-Flyer Dec 5, 2019 2:36 am

My version of the JAL app (Japanese language version) can look up the gates and status for both domestic and international flights.

Tokyoite Dec 6, 2019 5:30 am

Originally Posted by TA (Post 31805763)
Apologies in advance that this is a bit of a grab bag of gripes about a recent (last week) experience with JAL at Itami.Why is this so dumb?

In summary, you were almost late to your flight, you were pressed for time, and you expected everything to run smoothly at 100%.
Unfortunately, if you have been air travelling a lot and for a long time, this is only a blessing and never an assumption. It is unfortunate you got to experience multiple issues, but they are all solvable if you went to the airport, say, 40min-1hr before your departure time. This would give you at least 20 minutes to confirm your gate number, and go through the security check in-pleasantries in a more relaxed mode. (Security cut-off is 20 minutes as of October 27, 2019, so arriving 40 minutes before dep. time gives you 20 minutes to clear security.

Flying out domestically at Itami, I arrive at the airport to find things under a lot of construction, which has the side effect of putting a bunch of the security lines into temporary makeshift mode of poor line organization and efficiency: 1. The security lines have only 1 small table right at the x-ray, causing delays as people only have a few seconds to get their things together before delaying others

Well publicized here. https://www.osaka-airport.co.jp/en/notices/construction
As well as here. https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/airport/itm/
Go to the airport early!

2. The scanning of the boarding pass at security happens right at the belongings being sent into the x-ray tunnel, leading to major inefficiency as the screener has trouble scanning, waiting for the person to get the BP out, or loses efficiency in waiting to put things into the tunnel until the BP is scanned. I scan my electronic BP once, put it into the tray, and then (I have to say, very Japanese process-like), asks me to show the BP yet again when I have clearly just scanned it.

Mistake to scan it yourself.
You give the security guard your BP, they scan it, and then return it to you/put it in your tray.
Self-scanning simply doesn't work unless the security guard has witnessed it (otherwise they cant confirm if you are a legitimate passenger or not). It is what it is, and domestic travelling in Japan uses this same operation procedure.

To top it all off, after racing through to get to my flight, I find that my BP doesn't have a gate # on it, and in looking around for flight status monitors find that there are none in the current state of construction post-security. As a result, I try to look up my flight in the JAL app, but find that the app only displays flight arrival/departure information for international flights. Only in racing to find the customer service desk can I find out my gate.

So, you did not check your BP details when you received it at check-in/self print/JAL AP (link)?...Live and learn!

Unimatrix One Dec 8, 2019 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 31811535)
Mistake to scan it yourself.
You give the security guard your BP, they scan it, and then return it to you/put it in your tray.
Self-scanning simply doesn't work unless the security guard has witnessed it (otherwise they cant confirm if you are a legitimate passenger or not). It is what it is, and domestic travelling in Japan uses this same operation procedure.

I've always self scanned my BP or JALcard at the domestic security checkpoints for as long as they've had the scanners...