FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JFK>NRT (Z). Did I get lucky last year? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1993269-jfk-nrt-z-did-i-get-lucky-last-year.html)

arduouspaths Oct 29, 2019 11:10 am

JFK>NRT (Z). Did I get lucky last year?

Last year early October, after about a month of daily checking on British Airways for availability I was able to redeem AA miles for a first class trip JFK>NRT JAL 3 in March. This year I was hoping to do similar and treat my father as well.

1. Did I just get lucky with the availability?
2. How likely is it for 2 First Class seats to open up next March?
3. Is searching day by day on BA website still my best option?

Thank you!

CPH-Flyer Oct 30, 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by arduouspaths (Post 31678200)
Last year early October, after about a month of daily checking on British Airways for availability I was able to redeem AA miles for a first class trip JFK>NRT JAL 3 in March. This year I was hoping to do similar and treat my father as well.

1. Did I just get lucky with the availability?
2. How likely is it for 2 First Class seats to open up next March?

Thank you!

Two seats are released initially, 350 days out. Your best bet is to grab it when it is released. Note that JMB members gets access 350 days out, AA members only 330 days out.

etgohomeok Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by arduouspaths (Post 31678200)

Alaska's search allows you to search for a full month at a time.

I'm also wanting to book something for the summer but availability is dismal. I am, however, seeing a few seats appear/disappear randomly every day which is weird. Perhaps people changing/canceling their bookings?

arduouspaths Oct 31, 2019 10:53 am

sorry, combined my replies into one. I don't know how to delete replies?

arduouspaths Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am

sorry, combined my replies into one. I don't know how to delete replies?

arduouspaths Oct 31, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by etgohomeok (Post 31686404)
Alaska's search allows you to search for a full month at a time.

I'm also wanting to book something for the summer but availability is dismal. I am, however, seeing a few seats appear/disappear randomly every day which is weird. Perhaps people changing/canceling their bookings?

This past year it was like that for me, I searched every day on BA until a seat opened up.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31681371)
Two seats are released initially, 350 days out. Your best bet is to grab it when it is released. Note that JMB members gets access 350 days out, AA members only 330 days out.

Given that there's only like 16 or so First Class Seats, I suppose I must have gotten really lucky last time then...

richarddd Oct 31, 2019 12:28 pm

When I was looking earlier this year, seats always showed on BA at the same time of the day, early evening East Coast time if I recall correctly. There were always seats available and I grabbed the ones I wanted as soon as they showed. I booked outbound and return on separate PNRs.

This was before JL could be booked online. I don't know if that makes it easier to book or reduces availability because it's easier for everyone.

arduouspaths Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 31686858)
When I was looking earlier this year, seats always showed on BA at the same time of the day, early evening East Coast time if I recall correctly. There were always seats available and I grabbed the ones I wanted as soon as they showed. I booked outbound and return on separate PNRs.

This was before JL could be booked online. I don't know if that makes it easier to book or reduces availability because it's easier for everyone.

interesting, I never thought about the time of day that I'm looking. Last time I got a ticket it was early afternoon I believe, but maybe I'll try looking in the evenings as well.

CPH-Flyer Oct 31, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by arduouspaths (Post 31686476)
This past year it was like that for me, I searched every day on BA until a seat opened up.

Given that there's only like 16 or so First Class Seats, I suppose I must have gotten really lucky last time then...

There are 8 F seats in the cabins.

arduouspaths Nov 1, 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31687778)
There are 8 F seats in the cabins.

ah got it. I couldn't remember how many rows there were

GetSetJetSet Nov 3, 2019 7:37 pm

I managed 2 F seats on the same flight JFK-HND in July, so it's possible.

CPH-Flyer Nov 3, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31698257)
I managed 2 F seats on the same flight JFK-HND in July, so it's possible.

JAL does release 2F seats initially, but I F you don't grab them early in the release window changes are slim.