First time flyer on JAL

Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

First time flyer on JAL

Hey all,

I have been searching and reading to gain some knowledge on how to best fly to Japan round trip March/ April of 2020 for an Anniversary trip with my wife (5 year Anniversary - we're in our early thirties FYI). Neither of us have much to do with rewards points and miles; I have about 30,000 points with Chase UR, and 40,000 miles with American Airlines. We're looking at flying (at least and probably at best) JAL Premium Economy to get a little more leg room, and have more money during the trip (11-13 nights). We plan on flying from ORD to Tokyo (NRT). I just want to ask if you have any tips other than what I'm essentially aware of: I can't use points with Chase (transferring over to Avios or another) or American Air miles for a JAL upgrade. I think we're ultimately going to be stuck with the cost of the tickets outright, and we can always use the Chase Rewards to book a short trip while there or back State-side, along with using the American Air miles for other little trips as needed.

Any suggestions/ advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

infrequentflyer15 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by infrequentflyer15
I have been searching and reading to gain some knowledge on how to best fly to Japan round trip March/ April of 2020 for an Anniversary trip with my wife (5 year Anniversary - we're in our early thirties FYI). Neither of us have much to do with rewards points and miles; I have about 30,000 points with Chase UR, and 40,000 miles with American Airlines.
We're looking at flying (at least and probably at best) JAL Premium Economy to get a little more leg room, and have more money during the trip (11-13 nights). We plan on flying from ORD to Tokyo (NRT).
I just want to ask if you have any tips other than what I'm essentially aware of: I can't use points with Chase (transferring over to Avios or another) or American Air miles for a JAL upgrade.
I think we're ultimately going to be stuck with the cost of the tickets outright, and we can always use the Chase Rewards to book a short trip while there or back State-side, along with using the American Air miles for other little trips as needed.
The other Tokyo airport is HND
AA also fly to NRT & HND. Airlines other than AA or JL may get you there for a better price
Cross airlines are uncommon and/or hard with many t&c's. AA/IB/BA & Star Alliance have cross airline upgrade systems but with the t&c's is no use to many people. Expect to fly in the class you buy.

A very general guide to awards https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=ORD&t...=0&c=y&s=1&p=1

With using AA ff miles & UR points better to look in those forums

AA does not do PE awards. 40,000 AA miles will not get you far
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
AA/JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Credit Cards

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 1, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The only miles that you can use for upgrades on JAL are JMB miles. There is an option to do a cash upgrade to PY day of departure if there are seats open when you check in. I find it rather on the expensive side, on the US routes US departure is 350 USD per person and Japan departure is 40,000 JPY per person.

JAL Y is most likely the best Y product out there, pitch is 34" 787s are still 8 seats per row, 777s are still 9 seats per row, and no plans to change that. I would suggest that you save the upgrade costs and get a good dinner (or several) in Japan for that money instead.
zarkov505 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.