Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

NRT-NGO Business Upgrade - should I bother?

Old Sep 24, 19, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Flight is on International 788. I will be coming off an international flight, so would potentially want to lie flat and sleep. How long would I be allowed to lie the seat flat for? If it's just 10 minutes, I may not even bother with the effort to go for the upgrade.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Old Sep 24, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by bmchris View Post
Flight is on International 788. I will be coming off an international flight, so would potentially want to lie flat and sleep. How long would I be allowed to lie the seat flat for? If it's just 10 minutes, I may not even bother with the effort to go for the upgrade.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
You sure that it's an internationally configured 788s and not one of the domestic 788s? Considering that the flight is blocked at just 1:10 in length, my guess is that you'll get 30-40 minutes tops. Plus, even if it's a lie-flat, I'm doubtful they'd do anything like mattress pads or whatnot. Personally I'd just slum it in economy.
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Yes, JAL3087 leaving at 6pm is on the international 787.
However, it is roughly the same distance as JFK-BOS (200miles, 1hr 15 minutes block time, roughly 50 minutes air flight time).
While the upgrade to class J (domestic business class) is only 8 US dollars (1000 JPY), no special service, and you will not have time to "lie flat", since seat belt off to on will be only 30 minutes at most.
I suggest you buy up for the novelty, but dont expect much beyond a wider seat
-and some juice/tea/coffee (which you likely wont even need since you are coming in in business class and should be stuffed by landing time.

Old Sep 24, 19, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA Gold, IHG Spire, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
I wouldn’t bother. Just took this flight last month, and our taxi at NRT was almost as long as the time we spent in the air.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's really only US$8, I'd do it, even though special lines and lounge access are unlikely.
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If it's really only US$8, I'd do it, even though special lines and lounge access are unlikely.
Class J is not business class, so no domestic lounge just on its own. However, your same day international business class inbound boarding pass will get you domestic lounge access though. (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service/lounge/nrt/)
You do get priority boarding, but that is rarely an issue in Japan (no grabbing of carry on space!).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: