JAL Business SkySuite vs. ANA First

Old Sep 6, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier
JAL Business SkySuite vs. ANA First

Hello, friends. I have to decide between flying on an award ticket to the Olympics next year JFK-NRT on JAL in a 777 Skysuite (via AF miles) vs. ORD-NRT on ANA in First (via UA miles). The mileage price is essentially the same. My goal is to sleep the entire time. Assuming it is not one of the new ANA First "The Room" flights, which is better?

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:13 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pjrubindc View Post
Hello, friends. I have to decide between flying on an award ticket to the Olympics next year JFK-NRT on JAL in a 777 Skysuite (via AF miles) vs. ORD-NRT on ANA in First (via UA miles). The mileage price is essentially the same. My goal is to sleep the entire time. Assuming it is not one of the new ANA First "The Room" flights, which is better?

Thanks!
Skysuites on JAL are in business class, and well, first class is first class. Of course ANA is the better option in this comparison.

A side note is that award tickets in connection with the Olympics are ridiculously tricky to get. Everyone wants them, and the airlines seems to release less than normal.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:52 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Skysuites on JAL are in business class...
Actually JAL calls all international (or newer?) seats "skys suites" even if they aren't in a premium cabin. I assume OP meant Sky Suite First Class? https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/newsky/

Last edited by TravelLawyer; Sep 6, 19 at 2:58 pm
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:08 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer View Post
Actually JAL calls all international (or newer?) seats "skys suites" even if they aren't in a premium cabin. I assume OP meant Sky Suite First Class? https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/newsky/
The first class seats are called JAL Suites. Business class seats are called Sky Suites with the exception of the NEO seats. The 787 and 777-200ER are called Sky Suites 787/777 to distinguish them from the ones without the new seats. But these planes don't have first class.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Skysuites on JAL are in business class, and well, first class is first class. Of course ANA is the better option in this comparison.

A side note is that award tickets in connection with the Olympics are ridiculously tricky to get. Everyone wants them, and the airlines seems to release less than normal.
Well, you say ANA First beats JAL Business. But SkySuite is supposedly the best business hard product in the world, while ANA’s First product doesn’t get the same kind of praise. What I don’t want is a flat bed where I can feel the metal bars that are part of the seat, even though it is in the shape of a bed! Wonder if anyone has flown both products?

And of course I do know about award tickets around the Olympics. But I’ve snagged some.

Old Sep 6, 19, 4:27 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Well, you say ANA First beats JAL Business. But SkySuite is supposedly the best business hard product in the world, while ANAís First product doesnít get the same kind of praise. What I donít want is a flat bed where I can feel the metal bars that are part of the seat, even though it is in the shape of a bed! Wonder if anyone has flown both products?

And of course I do know about award tickets around the Olympics. But Iíve snagged some.
But even the best business class seats can't compete with first class seats. The criticism of the ANA first class seat is mainly around how you are boxed in, and basically can't see out of the window, no option for buddy dining, and the almost inability to have a conversation with a travel partner even in the middle seats.

First class seats are much wider, better bedding, more quiet cabin. Then of course there is the service level.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 6, 19, 5:31 pm

I've flown both. ANA's first soft product beats JAL's Business Soft product. Also ANA's mattress is one of the best you can have on an airline. I wanted to buy one for my car after the flight because I slept so good, but they retail at like $1k or something ridiculous for such a small pad.

So I say go ANA first if you value sleep.

Also, JAL's 777 flights cabin temps seem to run a little warm. Didn't have that issue on ANA.
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stillmatic View Post
I've flown both. ANA's first soft product beats JAL's Business Soft product. Also ANA's mattress is one of the best you can have on an airline. I wanted to buy one for my car after the flight because I slept so good, but they retail at like $1k or something ridiculous for such a small pad.

So I say go ANA first if you value sleep.

Also, JAL's 777 flights cabin temps seem to run a little warm. Didn't have that issue on ANA.
Thanks. This is very helpful. Do you recall the two beds well enough to compare? What routes did you fly?
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:02 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Thanks. This is very helpful. Do you recall the two beds well enough to compare? What routes did you fly?
The ANA F bed is about same length as the Apex Skysuites, maybe a tad longer. The bed is a good deal wider in ANA F. The mattress on JAL J (and F for that matter) is better than the ANA F mattress. Though overall the ANA bed is far more comfortable, if sleep is important, there should be no doubt whatsoever about going ANA F rather than JAL J. F to F comparison I would say JAL F, but the differences are really small.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
But SkySuite is supposedly the best business hard product in the world
It's not.

Don't believe everything the bloggers tell you.
rustykettel, jashsu and east_west like this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

The ANA F bed is about same length as the Apex Skysuites, maybe a tad longer. The bed is a good deal wider in ANA F. The mattress on JAL J (and F for that matter) is better than the ANA F mattress. Though overall the ANA bed is far more comfortable, if sleep is important, there should be no doubt whatsoever about going ANA F rather than JAL J. F to F comparison I would say JAL F, but the differences are really small.
Thanks. Very, very helpful. If the mattress in JAL J is better, why is the ANA F bed more comfortable?
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:48 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Thanks. Very, very helpful. If the mattress in JAL J is better, why is the ANA F bed more comfortable?
Size, pillows, blanket wins for NH. So the sum of things are better.
stillmatic likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:48 pm

When you sleep, do you like to sleep in a cocoon or to spread out? If you don't like being cramped business is inferior.
It is really hard to get a business class better than first. NH isn't that bad. Not like BA.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:55 am
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's not.

Don't believe everything the bloggers tell you.
I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you want privacy and unrestricted foot space, then Apex is probably the #1 product for that. I actually prefer the reverse herringbone business class over the Apex suites because I feel a little claustrophobic in the Apex suites as they provide a bit too much privacy for my liking, especially the window seats. I also don't mind the footwell issue because I'm not tall.

Search this Thread