FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Upselling to C incurs service fee? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1985448-upselling-c-incurs-service-fee.html)

chowinlondon Sep 1, 2019 4:12 am

Upselling to C incurs service fee?

Hello

I previously booked an Economy ticket from Melbourne to Tokyo for several passengers. I am planning to upgrade one of the passengers to Business.

I was told by the JAL call centre that I will incur AUD 150 change fee (the original fare was booked in Economy Standard), as well as a Service Fee of AUD 60.

- Is it common for a Change Fee to be incurred when it involves upselling?
- I presume the Service Fee is due to it being done via the call centre? But I have no way of completing my request online.

Has anybody got any success in getting the fees above waived? Thank you!

JALPak Sep 1, 2019 5:29 am

Check the fare rules. If there’s no penalty for upselling, it will be specified in the rules.

Doesn't matter whether you can do this online or not, you will need to pay for ticketing fee if you do it via call center.

Tokyoite Sep 1, 2019 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by chowinlondon (Post 31478767)
I previously booked an Economy ticket from Melbourne to Tokyo for several passengers. I am planning to upgrade one of the passengers to Business.
I was told by the JAL call centre that I will incur AUD 150 change fee (the original fare was booked in Economy Standard), as well as a Service Fee of AUD 60.
- Is it common for a Change Fee to be incurred when it involves upselling?

Yes. Your ticket most likely has a rule about penalty for ticket changes. And no rule about it being waived for cash upgrade to business class. Check your ticket rules before pressing "purchase/buy"

- I presume the Service Fee is due to it being done via the call centre? But I have no way of completing my request online.

You booked via a 3rd party (Priceline), hence you cannot do any ticket changes online! Next time, book via direct channels even if it costs slightly more...or swallow the risk of using 3rd parties.

Has anybody got any success in getting the fees above waived? Thank you!

Nope. it is what it is.

heartface Sep 4, 2019 9:01 pm

JAL doesn't allow online changes within 72 hours of departure which also results in the costly service fee. Unfortunately there is no way around it.
I've noticed Expedia don't charge service fees and this was true the last time I had to change a JAL flight booked through them, close to departure, but as with the earlier advice it's best to check the rules and terms and conditions before you click buy.

Unimatrix One Sep 5, 2019 6:31 am

JAL is horrible about the call center service fee. There are situations where it is impossible to ticket online, but JL refuses to waive the fee anyway. I've had arguments with agents where I've explained that I want to ticket online and I hate making phone calls, but their system won't let me do it online, so why should I pay them to inconvenience myself? But it's no use. Rules are rules.

Just one of the reasons I stopped being loyal to JL.