Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL Carry On Weight -- International Flight

Old Aug 20, 19, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying JAL from LAX to SGN via NRT business class. Carry on will weigh about 12 kg and backpack maybe 6. Carry on will have electronics that I do not wish to check.

How strictly do they enforce weight limits? I can shift heavier stuff to backpack if they don't weigh backpack.

Also, can I carry my CPAP separately as I can on US airlines?

Thanks.

Last edited by mesquite; Aug 20, 19 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 20, 19, 7:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalpri/illness/sleep.html
Old Aug 20, 19, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by mesquite View Post
I'll be flying JAL from LAX to SGN via NRT business class. Carry on will weigh about 12 kg and backpack maybe 6. Carry on will have electronics that I do not wish to check.

How strictly do they enforce weight limits? I can shift heavier stuff to backpack if they don't weigh backpack.

Also, can I carry my CPAP separately as I can on US airlines?

Thanks.
As long as it fits into the cabin luggage bins, and you can handle the luggage by yourself without needing help from CAs, then there are no issues.
Considering the generous check in luggage allowances and general efficiency of getting luggage to the belt, you will be surprised at how little the carry on luggage sizes are on JAL flights.
The passengers on JAL flights are not "everything in carryon" kind of people. Therefore, there is plenty of space, and you will be fine.
I myself rarely check in luggage and instead use three carry-ons *a roller board suitcase + large duffel bag/handbag sitting on top of it + a backpack with electronics.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I have a 45L metal Rimowa that I on occasion have brought as carry on plus my business backpack. No one ever said anything.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I've just done four JL J segments carrying on my Rimowa Cabin Plus, which is both overweight and (slightly) oversize. Never got a second look. Overhead space was not an issue on any of the four segments.
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the information. JALPak, I was unaware I needed to get permission in advance to use the CPAP on the flight. Thanks for your link.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: