Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

New domestic flight security checkpoint cut-off time from Oct 27 2019

Old Aug 19, 19, 2:56 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201908/005266.html

Current cut-off time is 15 min before departure. JAL will increase that to 20 min from Oct 27 2019 due to expected increase in passenger volume. NH has already implemented this at HND from Dec 2018. Unlike NH's change JL plans to increase the domestic cut-off time at all airports.
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
oh no.
this will catch many off guard. Lots of angry salarymen will result from this..
Old Aug 19, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: JMB
Looking from a US based leisure traveler perspective, I'm still like 'We can show up at security 20min before the flight and still make it on??'
Old Aug 19, 19, 5:10 pm

Bullet train looks even more attractive now.
​​​​​
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K View Post
Looking from a US based leisure traveler perspective, I'm still like 'We can show up at security 20min before the flight and still make it on??'
A few years back it was 10 minutes to departure!
I, as many other Japan business men, are a buzzer beaters when it comes to flights and Shinkansen.
I actually book the flight while on the train to the airport!
10 -> 15 -> and now 20 minutes, definitely makes Shinkansen look a little more convenient on the Tokyo-Osaka trunk route.

Issue is, the security gate is automatically configured to NOT allow you to pass if you are later than the cut-off time.
Essentially you will miss your flight even with 20 minutes to go!
Lots of salarymen will decry this change.

Maybe they could set up segregated gates for those on specific tickets? Commercial flying (salarymen on business kippu/full fare pass some gates with the 10 minute cut-off, while the obachan/ojichan/families on sakitoku/tabiwari/tours etc. go through other gates with the 20 minute cut-off).
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:26 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
A few years back it was 10 minutes to departure!
I, as many other Japan business men, are a buzzer beaters when it comes to flights and Shinkansen.
10 -> 15 -> and now 20 minutes, definitely makes Shinkansen look a little more convenient on the Tokyo-Osaka trunk route.

Issue is, the security gate is automatically configured to NOT allow you to pass if you are later than the cut-off time.
Essentially you will miss your flight even with 20 minutes to go!
Lots of salarymen will decry this change.

Maybe they could set up segregated gates for those on specific tickets? Commercial flying (salarymen on business kippu/full fare pass some gates with the 10 minute cut-off, while the obachan/ojichan/families on sakitoku/tabiwari/tours etc. go through other gates with the 20 minute cut-off).
They could make the F gate cut of shorter than the normal. Then at least something is granted to Diamonds and JGC Premier members. But it is probably easier to explain a uniform cut off.
Old Aug 20, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
They could make the F gate cut of shorter than the normal. Then at least something is granted to Diamonds and JGC Premier members. But it is probably easier to explain a uniform cut off.
Remember how the check in deadline used to be shorter for business class passengers on intíl routes (45 min?) and then they changed it to uniform 60 minutes for all? I found all these increased cut off time really annoying
Old Aug 20, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Ahh, ok this makes sense. That's a type of traveling I would never see so nice to see what people do on the business travel side of things.
I've always flown, even on a route like Tokyo-Osaka since the JEP fare makes it cheaper than the Shinkansen, but I can see how minutes can make a difference.

So used to the 'arrive 2 hours before flight' rule they preach in the US, I've shown up 1 hour prior to my flight in Kushiro (KUH) after visiting family to check in and the portable xray machine to scan my checked bag wasn't open.. ended up standing around the check in counter for about 15 min till the staff for the machine showed up.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K View Post
Ahh, ok this makes sense. That's a type of traveling I would never see so nice to see what people do on the business travel side of things.
I've always flown, even on a route like Tokyo-Osaka since the JEP fare makes it cheaper than the Shinkansen, but I can see how minutes can make a difference.

So used to the 'arrive 2 hours before flight' rule they preach in the US, I've shown up 1 hour prior to my flight in Kushiro (KUH) after visiting family to check in and the portable xray machine to scan my checked bag wasn't open.. ended up standing around the check in counter for about 15 min till the staff for the machine showed up.
Concur. As an American that flies a ton for work, I'm so used to showing up 2-3 hours early at JFK and then eating/working in the flagship lounge until the flight boards. It took me a bit to turn off the paranoia clock when flying domestically in Japan.Now I head out about 80-90 minutes before the flight departs, go through security and hit the lounge for a cup of coffee and a croissant/onigiri and then go right to the gate. It so much faster and smoother. Flying in Japan really drives home the point of how much worse it is to travel here in the states :-P
Unimatrix One likes this.

Search this Thread