Middle name dilemna

Old Aug 18, 19, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Middle name dilemna

Been getting conflicting info about middle name rules on JAL and need some help.

I booked a first class one-way award ticket on JAL metal using Avios miles. These award tickets very hard to come by since this is around the Tokyo Olympics time. My middle name is not on this ticket but it is on my passport. Apparently the only way to now add my middle name is to cancel the ticket and immediately re-book it but I obviously don't want to take a chance of losing my seat. When I called British Airways they said since this is their ticket, it follows their rules and the middle name is not an issue but I have read instances of JAL being very strict at boarding time and I don't want to have any problems.

Could use some expert advice- do I keep my ticket and take a chance at the airport? Or have BA cancel and rebook and hope no one grabs it in between. Also, not sure if this matters but my return one-way ticket which I booked using Asia miles on JAL does have my middle name but that is a completely separate ticket.

Thank you!
Old Aug 18, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
no issues dude. as long as first n last names match you are OK. I personally never put my middle name on tickets n its never been an issue on JAL.
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:55 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I think the issues that sometimes arise is when people put their middle names on the tickets in ways that does not match the standard. I have never heard of problems with the middle name not being on the ticket. But to be honest, I think most of the issues that I have read about have been in relation to getting the frequent flyer program (and status) recognised, not about actually boarding the flights.
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: SQ QPPS, QR Burgundy, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I think the issues that sometimes arise is when people put their middle names on the tickets in ways that does not match the standard. I have never heard of problems with the middle name not being on the ticket. But to be honest, I think most of the issues that I have read about have been in relation to getting the frequent flyer program (and status) recognised, not about actually boarding the flights.
Yep. In my experience check in and boarding weren't issues at all, but I couldn't assign my FFP number to the booking and needed to do a manual miles credit after the flight.
Old Aug 18, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold (free 90d status)
Just another data point, I never put my middle name on tickets, and JL was ok'ed with it.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 2:50 am

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I should have listened to you guys. Long story short, I had to use this travel agent to book a flight to NRT with JL. I have never had an issue booking airfare with just my legal first and last name. She told me that it's JL policy to have my middle name. I told her, I've flown plenty of times in my life and never had anyone denying me boarding because I omit my middle name. I didn't want to argue so this is the first time in my life, I'll have my middle name on my boarding pass. I've already flown close to 50 times this year and haven't had anyone asking me why I don't put my middle name on the ticket.
Old Aug 21, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: JAL Sapphire, UA Gold
If you book directly on the JAL site you'll notice the middle name field isn't required but if you do use your middle name in the reservation no matter where you book it, you can only reference your reservation on the site by typing in your first and middle names run together, no space, in the first name field. Otherwise won't recognize you.

Search this Thread