FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   U Class ticket Upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1976962-u-class-ticket-upgrade.html)

ljwalvin Jul 6, 2019 4:44 am

U Class ticket Upgrade

Hi guys,

I'm on an award ticket from JFK to Osaka via Narita in May 2020. The JFK to NRT bit is in Business but the bit to Osaka is in Economy. The ticket was booked as part of a RTW trip. I'm not sure why the NRT to Osaka (Itami ITM) is in Economy but is there a potential of JAL upgrading it to Business for me if I ask them? Also, would I be able to ask them at check in for a sneaky upgrade to First from JFK to NRT if I say it's my honeymoon?

JALPak Jul 6, 2019 8:17 am

Expect to sit in the cabin you are ticketed in. NRT-ITM Class J upgrade will cost JPY1000 at check-in at NRT

CPH-Flyer Jul 6, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ljwalvin (Post 31274646)
Hi guys,

I'm on an award ticket from JFK to Osaka via Narita in May 2020. The JFK to NRT bit is in Business but the bit to Osaka is in Economy. The ticket was booked as part of a RTW trip. I'm not sure why the NRT to Osaka (Itami ITM) is in Economy but is there a potential of JAL upgrading it to Business for me if I ask them? Also, would I be able to ask them at check in for a sneaky upgrade to First from JFK to NRT if I say it's my honeymoon?

Domestic award tickets are always in Y. On the day of departure you can, as mentioned, pay 1,000 yen to upgrade to Class J (PY product)

You most certainly would be able to ask them for the upgrade to F. The answer is going to be a very polite 'No, that is unfortunately not possivle'

Tokyoite Jul 8, 2019 2:08 am

Definitely not possible before reaching the airport.
by then, you’ll be behind all the JAL elites on the paid upgrade queue. You’ll be lucky to get out of economy.
its a short 90 minute flight, so don’t stress about it.

NYCBunny Jul 8, 2019 7:45 am

What the others have said. It's really not worth it, if you can get J for a measly sen note, sure. But the flight itself is so short, it's not really worth it. I did F in January, and I was still drinking the after dinner service coffee on my way off the plane.

ljwalvin Jul 9, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31281193)
What the others have said. It's really not worth it, if you can get J for a measly sen note, sure. But the flight itself is so short, it's not really worth it. I did F in January, and I was still drinking the after dinner service coffee on my way off the plane.

Hmmm but strangely eough it says skysuites for their domestic J class? I'm not really that fussed as long as my international baggage allowance carries over...which it has fortunately. What I find odd is how the system i a bit rigid in the sense that I have nearly a 4 hour layover in Narita...when it should've given me a couple of options with a shorter stopover..Not sure how that works! Oh well!

JALPak Jul 9, 2019 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ljwalvin (Post 31286683)
Hmmm but strangely eough it says skysuites for their domestic J class? I'm not really that fussed as long as my international baggage allowance carries over...which it has fortunately. What I find odd is how the system i a bit rigid in the sense that I have nearly a 4 hour layover in Narita...when it should've given me a couple of options with a shorter stopover..Not sure how that works! Oh well!

That's because they use international config on that route. You could have booked the earlier flight if seats are available.