Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Home Print boarding pass

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
HKG Home Print boarding pass

I have just arrived on a Cathay flight and tried to transfer to departures on a JAL home print boarding pass for my next flight (separate ticket) but wasn't allowed through and told I need to get a new boarding pass at the transfer desk which won't open for another hour (not the worst delay in the world but I was rather hoping to be at the Pier by now after a 13 hour TPAC flight). Had I known this would happen I would have booked a Cathay flight instead.

Does anyone have any experience with home print boarding passes at Hong Kong airport?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:57 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Guess u r on JL736? They always tear and collect the boarding pass at HKG, at least for JL. Even with mobile boarding pass they will require a real one to be printed.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
jl26 was fine with home print pass...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:16 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by fakecd
jl26 was fine with home print pass...
they still collect boarding pass at the gate yesterday for JL026. And it was quite a mess too because of all the op-ups. Ground staff missing red beeps and there were lots of confusions whether certain passengers have boarded or not. Maybe that’s why if they start accepting home printing boarding passes.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
It’s all about the HKG transit security requiring an airline printed boarding pass for transit passengers. Sometimes you are lucky they don’t ask for one, but in my experience so far, they always ask for one. (I.e. no mobile passes or home printed passes)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
It’s all about the HKG transit security requiring an airline printed boarding pass for transit passengers. Sometimes you are lucky they don’t ask for one, but in my experience so far, they always ask for one. (I.e. no mobile passes or home printed passes)
So a home print boarding pass would be fine for standard departures but not for transit? In the end I just waited in the transit area for the JAL desk to open and print out a "proper" boarding pass as I had duty free liquids which would have caused problems going landside. I guess it must be some kind of security requirement as they don't trust home print/mobile boarding passes via transfer. Anyway, next time I'll book Cathay to avoid this issue (I believe their transfer desks are available 24 hours).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by doctoravios
So a home print boarding pass would be fine for standard departures but not for transit? In the end I just waited in the transit area for the JAL desk to open and print out a "proper" boarding pass as I had duty free liquids which would have caused problems going landside. I guess it must be some kind of security requirement as they don't trust home print/mobile boarding passes via transfer. Anyway, next time I'll book Cathay to avoid this issue (I believe their transfer desks are available 24 hours).
Unfortunately so. Transit security and the standard land side security seem to have different standards.
I was in your situation too, JL to TG on separate tickets, and I had to wait for TG transit counter to open n issue boarding pass despite having already checked in and gotten an electronic boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.