Y seat selection on Japan Airlines?

Old Jun 19, 19, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Y seat selection on Japan Airlines?

I just bought airfare on Y for JL. I looked up my reservation using the confirmation number that was given to me. For reasons that I don't understand, I see no way to choose my seats or add my Alaska Airlines FFP number to the reservation. What's the wrong and what should I do?
Old Jun 19, 19, 6:58 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
What fare? Who ticketed it? Who is the marketing carrier?
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
What fare? Who ticketed it? Who is the marketing carrier?
You mean the fare class? It's O and I used an OTA to book it because I had a travel credit that I wanted to use. The marketing and operating carrier is JL.
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
You mean the fare class? It's O and I used an OTA to book it because I had a travel credit that I wanted to use. The marketing and operating carrier is JL.
O class is eligible ineligible for advanced seat selection IIRC.

For FFP, is there a “more services” or similar button on reservation page. If you can’t find it I can try pull up my reservations later today to check the exact place to go to.

Last edited by JALPak; Jun 20, 19 at 2:53 am
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

O class is eligible for advanced seat selection IIRC.

For FFP, is there a “more services” or similar button on reservation page. If you can’t find it I can try pull up my reservations later today to check the exact place to go to.
Strange! On the reservation page, it says seat selection isn't available. Does JL have a North American based call center? The number that I see seems to indicate that it's overseas and I rather not pay LD charges to sort this out.
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
strange! On the reservation page, it says seat selection isn't available. Does jl have a north american based call center? The number that i see seems to indicate that it's overseas and i rather not pay ld charges to sort this out.
1-800-525-3663 for the US/Canada
1-800-681-9230 for Mexico
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
1-800-525-3663 for the US/Canada
1-800-681-9230 for Mexico
Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow. CS closes at 18:00 PDT.
Old Jun 20, 19, 2:53 am

O class is eligible for advanced seat selection IIRC.

Sorry...that's why I hate posting using my phone...I meant O class is INELIGIBLE for advanced seat selection
Old Jun 20, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
O class.....it is economy basic (with the luggage allowance added on).
No seat selection allowed before check-in (T-24hrs).
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Sorry...that's why I hate posting using my phone...I meant O class is INELIGIBLE for advanced seat selection
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Oh...that's pretty disappointing news. How can I add my Alaska Airlines membership number to the flight? I can't seem to do it online. I'm assuming O class will get me 50% of the miles flown?

Is there a way using Expertflyer or any other app to check how many seats are left? I want to get an idea of the ability to select the seat that I want prior to departure.
Old Jun 20, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Oh...that's pretty disappointing news. How can I add my Alaska Airlines membership number to the flight? I can't seem to do it online. I'm assuming O class will get me 50% of the miles flown?

Is there a way using Expertflyer or any other app to check how many seats are left? I want to get an idea of the ability to select the seat that I want prior to departure.
You'd have to double check with Alaska because they are the ones whom you're crediting the miles to. I know on JAL "O" only gets you 30% miles. So it's pretty crappy.
Old Jun 20, 19, 5:37 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold

You have to call them to add or change the FFP.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Either give your MP# at check in to the JAL counter agent (may need to help them with AS as the airline code) or save your boarding passes and ticket receipts for credit after the flight. Saving the boarding passes until it credits is a good practice anyways. For AS specific questions or crediting come over to the AS forum and will be happy to answer those there.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Just want to update this thread. I called JAL and they confirmed that O class doesn't allow advance seat selection. So it's T-24 hours before I can select my seat. However, they were able to add my Alaska # to my account. I can't see it online for some strange reason, but the rep assured me that it's been added to my reservation. I find the website to be a bit awkward to use compared to ANA.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:JL

O class gets 50% on AS.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Oct 14, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post

I have a booking directly with JAL, The first leg is O class and second and third are a mix of S/Y fares. Indeed I was unable to choose seats for the first leg after booking the ticket about a month ago, but was able to for the S/Y fares.

I just checked my booking again today (flight is in 8 days) and I was able to select seats for the first leg/O-class tickets! (Flight is JAL 69+JL815 on 10/22) There does seem to still be some discrepancy/blocked seats compared to expertflyer, but was able to get the side two seats on the 787!

I have no status with anyone anymore.

Search this Thread