FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Any perks with dinging JGC Premier while midtrip in Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1974647-any-perks-dinging-jgc-premier-while-midtrip-japan.html)

NYCBunny Jun 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Any perks with dinging JGC Premier while midtrip in Japan

Hey all, so after some fudging with my schedule and many many flights, I will be in Japan a little later in the summer and while there I'll be dinging up from JGC Sapphire to JGC Premier. I'm wondering besides finally getting access to the F lounge in Narita for the flight back to the US, is there anything "new"I can experience that I wouldn't have being JGC for a decade now? I'm assuming it's still the same International security checkpoint that I've used as a JGC member for some time now.

Also, how "wowed" should I be by the F lounge over the regular Sakura lounge?

AmD950 Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Your miles and FOPs would be credited 2-3 days post-flight, and status will be changed on the next day after FOP threshold reached.
They won't be able to know you reached a new tier in flight.

In fact, there are way too many JGP around the globe - I doubt you will feel 'being special' while flying as JGP on JAL.

NYCBunny Jun 19, 2019 5:27 am

Originally Posted by AmD950 (Post 31217122)
Your miles and FOPs would be credited 2-3 days post-flight, and status will be changed on the next day after FOP threshold reached.
They won't be able to know you reached a new tier in flight.

In fact, there are way too many JGP around the globe - I doubt you will feel 'being special' while flying as JGP on JAL.

I'm in Japan for a month, I'll have about 3 weeks after I ding JGC Premier before I fly back, so I'll clear it well before I leave. It's more about additional perks or services available because it's the emerald tier vs sapphire.

JALPak Jun 19, 2019 5:31 am

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31217885)
I'm in Japan for a month, I'll have about 3 weeks after I ding JGC Premier before I fly back, so I'll clear it well before I leave. It's more about additional perks or services available because it's the emerald tier vs sapphire.

nothing other than F lounge and F tags, the annual useless coupons and possibly more seat selection options

NYCBunny Jun 19, 2019 5:37 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31217894)

nothing other than F lounge and F tags, the annual useless coupons and possibly more seat selection options

Thanks, JALPak. Any perks on the domestic side beside F security lines that goes straight to the lounge and the Diamond lounge?

JALPak Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31217908)
Thanks, JALPak. Any perks on the domestic side beside F security lines that goes straight to the lounge and the Diamond lounge?

no

Tokyoite Jun 19, 2019 7:57 am

Way too many JGP/Diamonds around. Always around 10-20 per JAL flight.
However, you'll enjoy the F lounge & BTO sushi station, F priority tags, and higher chance of op ups in Japan domestic flights!
I too am finally expecting to get over the JGP threshold next month after 5 years as a JGC Sapphire, and are slightly giddy about this elevated status.
(Courtesy of FOPs from the ongoing RGN-USA JAL biz class sale fare)

NYCBunny Jun 19, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 31218302)
However, you'll enjoy the F lounge & BTO sushi station, F priority tags, and higher chance of op ups in Japan domestic flights!
I too am finally expecting to get over the JGP threshold next month after 5 years as a JGC Sapphire, and are slightly giddy about this elevated status.

Cheers to us then for making it finally! I've been very surprised while flying all over the place domestically with JAL how the JGC status seems to override whatever other status I reached. Curious to see when flying domestically this summer if it still just shows me as JGC when I scan the ticket during boarding.

JALPak Jun 19, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31218346)
Cheers to us then for making it finally! I've been very surprised while flying all over the place domestically with JAL how the JGC status seems to override whatever other status I reached. Curious to see when flying domestically this summer if it still just shows me as JGC when I scan the ticket during boarding.

I guess you have not flown JL for a while or your status is below sapphire then. It hasn’t been that way for a while.

CPH-Flyer Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31218346)

JGC exceeds Sapphire, hence boarding gate shows that. Once you are JGP it will show that. It also shows Diamond.

JALPak Jun 19, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31218463)
JGC exceeds Sapphire

No, it's the other way round since Amadeus LOL

jix Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am

If they still run the wifi promo and you're on JL flight return, you can register for it and get the code valid for multiple times as JGC.

CPH-Flyer Jun 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31218736)
No, it's the other way round since Amadeus LOL

Debatable. The JGC check in counters, the JGC luggage tags, Sapphire gets neither. So from a service perspective, it does outrank a mere sapphire

Oropher Jun 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 31218302)

I bought the same ticket with the Seattle campaign and decided to go for emerald.
Will fly to Taipei next month as my first flight as emerald but know I cannot expect much as HND-TSA is notorious for the number of status holders

Tokyoite Jun 20, 2019 7:22 am

Really hoping for another double FOP bonanza next year.
The new BLR (Bangalore) route starting in March 2020 (or thereabouts) should have a similar offer.
(Kona never did, MEL only had a double miles campaign if memory serves me right).

CPH-Flyer Jun 20, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 31221982)
Really hoping for another double FOP bonanza next year.
The new BLR (Bangalore) route starting in March 2020 (or thereabouts) should have a similar offer.
(Kona never did, MEL only had a double miles campaign if memory serves me right).

I really hope they kill all double FOP campaigns. It is too easy to become Diamond already.

NYCBunny Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm guessing I'll find out in August on the way back home. The Sakura lounge has turned into .... the past few years, way too overcrowded and too many foreign PAX making their self way too at home. Was hoping that the F lounge would help mitigate that a bit.

But I can't say domestically it's ever felt super crowded in the Diamond lounge, the only one even moderately close to full was the one in Osaka. I always there were too many JGC members, because it seems like JAL gives that out in Japan like candy.

jgchiker Jun 21, 2019 7:59 am

F Lounge in Narita (Main Building) is a joke now. You cannot even find a place to sit.
Go to the Cathay's lounge or Sat lounge for some peace.

CPH-Flyer Jun 21, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by jgchiker (Post 31225539)
F Lounge in Narita (Main Building) is a joke now. You cannot even find a place to sit.
Go to the Cathay's lounge or Sat lounge for some peace.

Which is because the main part of the F lounge is closed for renovation.

Though I have never seen the new lounge as packed as I saw the 3rd floor lounge while the 4th floor space was being renovated.

NYCBunny Jun 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31225625)
Which is because the main part of the F lounge is closed for renovation.

Though I have never seen the new lounge as packed as I saw the 3rd floor lounge while the 4th floor space was being renovated.

Wait... I thought they finished the main F renovations back in April? The website makes it sound like they finished it.

CPH-Flyer Jun 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31227235)
Wait... I thought they finished the main F renovations back in April? The website makes it sound like they finished it.

They finished the 4th floor renovation, now they are working on the 3rd floor space. Which is also why the F lounge showers are unavailable at the moment.

NYCBunny Jun 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31227287)
They finished the 4th floor renovation, now they are working on the 3rd floor space. Which is also why the F lounge showers are unavailable at the moment.

Interesting, the site makes it seem like it's all finished for renovations. When is that supposed to be finished?

Related question, where is the satellite area that everyone keeps referring to? I seemed to have miss it the many times I've passed through Narita.

CPH-Flyer Jun 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by NYCBunny (Post 31227396)
Interesting, the site makes it seem like it's all finished for renovations. When is that supposed to be finished?

Related question, where is the satellite area that everyone keeps referring to? I seemed to have miss it the many times I've passed through Narita.

Somewhere in the autumn time. I was fishing a bit with some of the staff I see very frequently at the lounge, but they gave no specifics.

The satellite lounge is on the right hand corner when you walk out to the satellite building. Towards the 90s gates.

NYCBunny Jun 22, 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31227416)
Somewhere in the autumn time. I was fishing a bit with some of the staff seet very frequently at the lounge, but they gave no specifics.

The satellite lounge is on the right hand corner when you walk out to the satellite building. Towards the 90s gates.

What I get for walking straight into the lounge after immigration every single time. Thanks, CPH

coolfish1103 Jun 22, 2019 7:38 am

I would say free upgrades can come by a bit easier on regional flights. Your status will trump the Sapphires.