FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   How to get JAL Global club credit card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1972387-how-get-jal-global-club-credit-card.html)

drk5036 Jun 2, 2019 11:41 pm

How to get JAL Global club credit card?

Hi, first time posting on this forum!

I'm currently residing in Japan and primarily fly JAL for business. Last year I achieved JMB Sapphire level, and am enjoying to perks until March 2020. I'm interested in applying for one of the JGC credit cards, so I can be a JGC member, in case I don't reach the 50,000 fly-on point requirement this year. What I'm confused about is, do I need a specific application to join the program? If I apply for a JAL CLUB-A card, and am a sapphire member, does that already make me officially a member of JGC? Will I automatically get the card with the JGC logo on it, or do I have to specifically request it / do a special application for it?

Thanks for your help!
Dan

bakaneko85 Jun 2, 2019 11:53 pm

You should have gotten the Club A JGC credit card application form mailed together with the Sapphire card. That’s how is in my case anyway, and it was years ago..

drk5036 Jun 2, 2019 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by bakaneko85 (Post 31164760)
You should have gotten the Club A JGC credit card application form mailed together with the Sapphire card. That’s how is in my case anyway, and it was years ago..

Thanks for your quick reply. At the time, I did get the application in the mail. I applied for the VISA version of the card, but I didn't realize until after submission that I didn't include one of the forms with my zairyu card in it, and was subsequently rejected. I've had a JCB card in Japan for 3 years now (connected to a Korean Airlines SKYPASS account I rarely use anymore), and I've been happy with them so I was thinking this time around I would apply for the JCB version. I still have the forms that I initially received, but no envelop etc. Do I need to request another application from JALCARD or someone else?

CPH-Flyer Jun 3, 2019 1:46 am

If you apply for a JAL Club A card, and get approved you will get the invitation to join JGC. So you don't need a specific form, just apply for the card.

I have to say JAL Card tend to go in to subatomic detail when verifying applications, so be very meticulous. And prepared for a few phone calls. I don't know if it is just for us gaijin they are that detailed or all applications. If the later they must have an army of staff, since they are pretty quick.

bakaneko85 Jun 3, 2019 3:25 am

I actually sent in my kakutei Shinkoku (final tax return?) together with my card application even though obviously it’s never listed as a requirement, just to make sure. Japanese credit card Cos review process tend not to work well with non typical applicants like foreigners. No follow up calls etc, pretty fast approval.

drk5036 Jun 3, 2019 4:40 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31164968)
If you apply for a JAL Club A card, and get approved you will get the invitation to join JGC. So you don't need a specific form, just apply for the card.

I have to say JAL Card tend to go in to subatomic detail when verifying applications, so be very meticulous. And prepared for a few phone calls. I don't know if it is just for us gaijin they are that detailed or all applications. If the later they must have an army of staff, since they are pretty quick.

Just so I understand...If I apply for the JAL Club A card and get approved, I will get invited to join JGC and then the card I receive will be a JAL Club A JGC card? Or will I need to get a JAL Club A card, then apply for another JGC credit card?

Sorry for being so dense, and thanks for all your help!

drk5036 Jun 3, 2019 4:40 am

Originally Posted by bakaneko85 (Post 31165115)
I actually sent in my kakutei Shinkoku (final tax return?) together with my card application even though obviously it’s never listed as a requirement, just to make sure. Japanese credit card Cos review process tend not to work well with non typical applicants like foreigners. No follow up calls etc, pretty fast approval.

This is a good idea, thanks! I work for a major National University, so have a relatively *good* job, so I hope at this point getting approved should not be too much of an issue...

CPH-Flyer Jun 3, 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by drk5036 (Post 31165217)
Just so I understand...If I apply for the JAL Club A card and get approved, I will get invited to join JGC and then the card I receive will be a JAL Club A JGC card? Or will I need to get a JAL Club A card, then apply for another JGC credit card?

I had my JAL card first, eventually I reached a the level where I could get JGC membership, and I got the invitation to join. Once I completed the application and it was processed, I received a new credit card with the JGC logo on it. Card number etc. remained the same as the card without the logo.

Tokyoite Jun 3, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by drk5036 (Post 31165217)

Not exactly. Details in Japanese are here (link), but in summary, you have two options.

OPTION 1: (If you already applied for ANY JAL card)
Once approved and CC is sent to you, then login into my jalcard (link)
then on the top left, click on 「カードの切替・追加」= add/change credit card
then on the next page shown, click on 「JALグローバルクラブへの入会」= join JGC club.
you should get your updated card in your post with exact same CC number as your former normal card, without needing any new credit checks.

OPTION 2: (If you dont have a JAL CC)
Login to the usual JMB homepage (link), and scroll down to the very bottom, to select a credit card.
"Select the card that best suits you".
From there, you select JALCARD, and you will be taken to the JAL card selection page.
Select JAL Club A (VISA/MC etc, any brand you like within this Club A selection), and you go through the standard CC signup process.
Before completing the process, the invitation to join JGC will pop up 「JALグローバルクラブへの入会」= join JGC club.
Once you of course select this, then the standard process for CC applications proceeds.

(Online form -> they will send you by post the additional forms to fill-> you send back with all supporting documents
-> they decide that you are creditworthy to give you the credit card (or not)
->if successful, the JGC card will be sent to you.
If rejected, wait 6 months to reapply == or call to ask why & if there are additional documents or info. you can send them so they can reconsider the decision)

Essentially, it is quite risky to start on the JGC process (booking flights and crediting mileage) if you aren't already sure you will get the JGC card = Haven't already applied for and gotten approval for a JAL card.
You have until the end of your status period (next year March) to get the CC, otherwise back to another 50K FOP run the next year.