ORD-NRT First Class Miles ticket

Old May 7, 19, 6:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
ORD-NRT First Class Miles ticket

Myself and my fiance will be going to Tokyo soon, and will be using a bunch of my miles. I can book F tickets through AA for 80k a piece. My question is, is it better to fly ORD-NRT with JAL, or NRT-ORD? I would assume the lounge in NRT will be much better than the AA lounge in ORD (even being the Flagship First lounge). Is there a huge difference in the food quality based on where the origin is for this flight? Whatever route I take, the other flight will be F on ANA.
Mlloyd996 is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 8:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NYC/LAX
Programs: BAEC Gold, JAL Diamond (JML), TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, SUMA Silver
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by Mlloyd996 View Post
Myself and my fiance will be going to Tokyo soon, and will be using a bunch of my miles. I can book F tickets through AA for 80k a piece. My question is, is it better to fly ORD-NRT with JAL, or NRT-ORD? I would assume the lounge in NRT will be much better than the AA lounge in ORD (even being the Flagship First lounge). Is there a huge difference in the food quality based on where the origin is for this flight? Whatever route I take, the other flight will be F on ANA.
On both JAL and ANA you would expect way better catering on ex-Japan flights. The newly renovated JAL NRT F lounge seems very nice and could be worth a try (and is definitely better than AA Flagship Lounge -- it is not a FC lounge to begin with).
JALOO5-Flyer is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 8:38 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Posts: 19,217
deleted.

Last edited by SFO777; May 7, 19 at 9:05 pm
SFO777 is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 12:53 am
  #4  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,570
ORD to NRT is a day flight, and longer more time to try out the various options on the menu. NRT to ORD you want to sleep to adjust for the time zone change so less time to enjoy the F service.
Tokyoite likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 9:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,544
Echoe that.
Onboard, you’ll enjoy the westbound day flight to Japan more than the eastbound redeye to the US.
However, NRT has four excellent lounges to enjoy and lounge hop (JAL F lounge, Cathay lounge, Qantas lounge, Admirals club)
Tokyoite is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 9:47 am
  #6  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,570
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Echoe that.
Onboard, you’ll enjoy the westbound day flight to Japan more than the eastbound redeye to the US.
However, NRT has four excellent lounges to enjoy and lounge hop (JAL F lounge, Cathay lounge, Qantas lounge, Admirals club)
Did Cathay update their lounge recently? Otherwise it is pretty fra from being excellent. Only mitigating circumstance is the ice cream
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 9:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFO, PEK, SJW
Programs: JL JML, EK G, BA Silver, TK GLD, UA Silver
Posts: 46
My general experience is the outbound flights from Japan was always better, especially on the foods.
qxk970517 is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 11:07 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
ORD to NRT is a day flight, and longer more time to try out the various options on the menu. NRT to ORD you want to sleep to adjust for the time zone change so less time to enjoy the F service.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I've heard nothing but great things about JAL's soft product on their B77W, and their crew being amazing.
Mlloyd996 is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 12:14 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Programs: AA exp 2mm Hertz 5*
Posts: 197
JAL NRT F Lounge definitely better than any offerings at ORD. According to a recent ruckus, you can even enjoy shark fin soup at NRT. I prefer the sushi station.
Enjoy. My experience was the plane was even better than the lounge (NRT-ORD).
Snuggs is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 12:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
Posts: 8,248
The F lounges in Japan are nice but not outstanding. The Polaris lounge in ORD is probably better and AA flagship is close. Food is good both ways. NH check in at NRT is a little better than JL. Ditto for ORD where you can use GS check-in. Salon champagne is only availablen on JL eastbound. With NH you can fly in/out of HND. Depending on the time of year, the NH flight to HND is a night flight.

On balance, I'd probably take NH westbound so you get GS check in, Polaris lounge, arrival at HND, and then JL on the way back where the jaunt to NRT is not so tiring at the start of the journey and you get Salon on the flight.

FWIW - I've flown both 30 or 40 times. JL and NH are both very nice. You won't be disappointed.
5khours is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread