ORD-NRT First Class Miles ticket

Old May 7, 19, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

ORD-NRT First Class Miles ticket

Myself and my fiance will be going to Tokyo soon, and will be using a bunch of my miles. I can book F tickets through AA for 80k a piece. My question is, is it better to fly ORD-NRT with JAL, or NRT-ORD? I would assume the lounge in NRT will be much better than the AA lounge in ORD (even being the Flagship First lounge). Is there a huge difference in the food quality based on where the origin is for this flight? Whatever route I take, the other flight will be F on ANA.
Old May 7, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, JAL Diamond (JML), TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, SUMA Silver
Originally Posted by Mlloyd996 View Post
Myself and my fiance will be going to Tokyo soon, and will be using a bunch of my miles. I can book F tickets through AA for 80k a piece. My question is, is it better to fly ORD-NRT with JAL, or NRT-ORD? I would assume the lounge in NRT will be much better than the AA lounge in ORD (even being the Flagship First lounge). Is there a huge difference in the food quality based on where the origin is for this flight? Whatever route I take, the other flight will be F on ANA.
On both JAL and ANA you would expect way better catering on ex-Japan flights. The newly renovated JAL NRT F lounge seems very nice and could be worth a try (and is definitely better than AA Flagship Lounge -- it is not a FC lounge to begin with).
Old May 7, 19, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
deleted.

Last edited by SFO777; May 7, 19 at 9:05 pm
Old May 8, 19, 12:53 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
ORD to NRT is a day flight, and longer more time to try out the various options on the menu. NRT to ORD you want to sleep to adjust for the time zone change so less time to enjoy the F service.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Echoe that.
Onboard, you’ll enjoy the westbound day flight to Japan more than the eastbound redeye to the US.
However, NRT has four excellent lounges to enjoy and lounge hop (JAL F lounge, Cathay lounge, Qantas lounge, Admirals club)
Old May 8, 19, 9:47 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Echoe that.
Onboard, you’ll enjoy the westbound day flight to Japan more than the eastbound redeye to the US.
However, NRT has four excellent lounges to enjoy and lounge hop (JAL F lounge, Cathay lounge, Qantas lounge, Admirals club)
Did Cathay update their lounge recently? Otherwise it is pretty fra from being excellent. Only mitigating circumstance is the ice cream
Old May 8, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: JL JML, EK G, BA Silver, TK GLD, UA Silver
My general experience is the outbound flights from Japan was always better, especially on the foods.
Old May 8, 19, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
ORD to NRT is a day flight, and longer more time to try out the various options on the menu. NRT to ORD you want to sleep to adjust for the time zone change so less time to enjoy the F service.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I've heard nothing but great things about JAL's soft product on their B77W, and their crew being amazing.
Old May 8, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA exp 2mm Hertz 5*
JAL NRT F Lounge definitely better than any offerings at ORD. According to a recent ruckus, you can even enjoy shark fin soup at NRT. I prefer the sushi station.
Enjoy. My experience was the plane was even better than the lounge (NRT-ORD).
Old May 8, 19, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
The F lounges in Japan are nice but not outstanding. The Polaris lounge in ORD is probably better and AA flagship is close. Food is good both ways. NH check in at NRT is a little better than JL. Ditto for ORD where you can use GS check-in. Salon champagne is only availablen on JL eastbound. With NH you can fly in/out of HND. Depending on the time of year, the NH flight to HND is a night flight.

On balance, I'd probably take NH westbound so you get GS check in, Polaris lounge, arrival at HND, and then JL on the way back where the jaunt to NRT is not so tiring at the start of the journey and you get Salon on the flight.

FWIW - I've flown both 30 or 40 times. JL and NH are both very nice. You won't be disappointed.

Search this Thread