Through-check oversized bag on separate tickets

Old May 5, 19, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
Through-check oversized bag on separate tickets

I plan to book two separate tickets: SFO-HND in F and HND-CTS in Y.

If at SFO, I check in two snowboard/ski bags and a 3rd bag, I assume all bags will get through-checked to CTS, regardless of whatever aircraft flies to CTS.

If I overnight in HND, and take the next morning's flight to CTS, I assume domestic Y checked bag rules will apply (i.e. 20kg max allowance).

If anyone has experiences flying with skis, snowboards, let me know!
Old May 6, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Hnd-Cts is on JAL, right?
based on your status, the oversized luggage may attract additional baggage fees, fees you would need to settle in SFO before they allow you to through check.
if you overnight in Tokyo, then they wonít through check the luggage and you will need to retrieve it yourself. they may give exception if you have status.
Old May 6, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
And is the HND-CTS sector on a Japan Explorer/Yokoso fare?
Old May 6, 19, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
Both legs will be JAL awards. So when thru checking on separate tickets, then the lesser allowance applies - which means I should get at least 23kg including oversized bags.

But if this was a single ticket - with the int'l leg in F - then we'd get the full 3 bag allowance.

I'm surprise - and not so surprised - that JAL will be stickler on these points.
Old May 7, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Both legs will be JAL awards. So when thru checking on separate tickets, then the lesser allowance applies - which means I should get at least 23kg including oversized bags.

But if this was a single ticket - with the int'l leg in F - then we'd get the full 3 bag allowance.

I'm surprise - and not so surprised - that JAL will be stickler on these points.
The point of seperate tickets is that the rules of each ticket applies to each leg. No through check will suspend that. That is the disadvantage of splitting your tickets. That is not being sticklers, BA not checking through on two separate BA tickets is being sticklers for the rules.

All being said, you may find JAL lenient and you may not.
Old Jul 6, 19, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
And is the HND-CTS sector on a Japan Explorer/Yokoso fare?
If itís using this fare, is this of any help?

(slight off topic)

If I used MH points to redeem JL (hence MH issues ticket) do I get MH allowance or JL allowance for oversized luggage? Also pertaining to ski gear.
Old Jul 6, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ckklim View Post

If itís using this fare, is this of any help?

(slight off topic)

If I used MH points to redeem JL (hence MH issues ticket) do I get MH allowance or JL allowance for oversized luggage? Also pertaining to ski gear.
The JAL explorer pass gets international allowance. The Yokoso fare does not exist any longer.

Of you book JL with MH miles, you still get the JAL allowance for checked luggage.

Search this Thread