Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Online seat selection not sticking for bulkhead rows

Old Apr 10, 19, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

I have a JAL reservation in J on the 77W booked via AA miles. I'm not able to select 7A on the JAL website. I can switch to other rows just fine (there are only middle seats left besides that one window). There's no error message or anything. I asked AA and they said

Seat 7A isn't pre-reservable on this ticket. You can also call them directly to pay any costs for the bulkhead seat.
Which is weird because I can't find anything about bulkhead seats costing extra on JAL. Does anyone know what's going on? I tried calling earlier today and the hold time was too long. I called back just now and their closed until tomorrow morning
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Bulkhead seats on JAL do not cost extra. They are just blocked, and available based on status and booking class.. Most of them will become available at on line check in if not already selected by eligible passengers
Old Apr 11, 19, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Try using the JAL PNR to do the selection on Finnair website.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Try using the JAL PNR to do the selection on Finnair website.
No dice:

Sorry! Unfortunately we cannot sell you a seat for this flight at the moment. You will be assigned a seat at check-in, and you can also purchase a seat at the airport during check-in.

The booking reference you entered is not valid. Make sure you are entering a Finnair booking reference. If you purchased your flights from a travel agency, you can ask them to provide you with a Finnair booking reference.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Bulkhead seats on JAL do not cost extra. They are just blocked, and available based on status and booking class.. Most of them will become available at on line check in if not already selected by eligible passengers
That's the thing, they're not blocked on the seatmap (either on the JAL website or ExpertFlyer)
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by 31693884 View Post
That's the thing, they're not blocked on the seatmap (either on the JAL website or ExpertFlyer)
I have seen that recently, that seats don't show as blocked yet passengers are booted if they try to select them. They are supposed to be blocked, so I guess it is a bug at the moment
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:34 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
I have a similar problem; trying to book row 1 seats on a 788, it allows me to do it, but when I re-check the booking later, there is no record of this and the seats show as vacant!
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, JAL Diamond, AS MVPG 75K, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by whughes3 View Post
I have a similar problem; trying to book row 1 seats on a 788, it allows me to do it, but when I re-check the booking later, there is no record of this and the seats show as vacant!
1A/K and 2A/K are usually blocked on apex 788s (SS8). If you select any of these seats without emerald status you can be kicked out.
For the shell flat neo (non-lieflat) 788s they block 1A/C (and sometimes 1H/K I believe)

I was on an F booking and can select 1A with my emerald status. However as I decided to credit this flight to another ffp (sapphire status) and change it on JAL website, the system instantly kicked me out of 1A. I guess I would put the emerald plan for now and change it during check in
Old Apr 19, 19, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer View Post
1A/K and 2A/K are usually blocked on apex 788s (SS8). If you select any of these seats without emerald status you can be kicked out.
For the shell flat neo (non-lieflat) 788s they block 1A/C (and sometimes 1H/K I believe)

I was on an F booking and can select 1A with my emerald status. However as I decided to credit this flight to another ffp (sapphire status) and change it on JAL website, the system instantly kicked me out of 1A. I guess I would put the emerald plan for now and change it during check in
But I have Emerald status (via QF), and my QF FF# shows up on the booking. However the booking is not visible on my profile on the QF website, which causes me some concerns; if I can't resolve this I will call JAL next week in an attempt to find out what is happening.
Old Apr 19, 19, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I have Emerald status (via QF), and my QF FF# shows up on the booking. However the booking is not visible on my profile on the QF website, which causes me some concerns; if I can't resolve this I will call JAL next week in an attempt to find out what is happening.
Revenue or award booking?
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Revenue or award booking?
Revenue, booked on the JAL website.
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Revenue, booked on the JAL website.
It should work then, however there has been quite a few changes to blocked seats since Amadeus was introduced, so maybe they have tightened the requirements for 1A recently
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:36 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
I had similar issue - AA booked revenue J on JL. AA assigned me a seat (not bulkhead), later I saw seat was changed from window to middle - JL said that some seats are blocked from AA issued tickets. They had sent AA a message confirming a different seat than the 1 AA confirmed to me - but I was not made aware until I checked on the JL website.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: