Search

Delay compensation (JL43)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC; JMB
Delay compensation (JL43)

hi all,

I’m due to take JL43 this morning, HND-LHR.
Currently it’s set to be delayed by ~5h.

Under EU Regulation 261/2004, this would be due €600.

However, as it’s not an EU airline, and it’s entering, rather than leaving, the EU, I guess it doesn’t comply, and therefore due nothing?

What’s the options for any compensation with JAL typically? Does anyone have experience?
are they likely to bump me into another flight, or up a class? Or cash compensation?

for what it’s worth, I’m OWE, but only flying in Y.

thanks
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
EU regulations do not apply as you are on a non EU airline flying to the EU.

JAL will not be giving you any cash compensation, and as you are Emerald, they will be relying on the lounge to keep you fed and refreshed. So in short summary, nothing is forthcoming.

I had the same level of delay once, and as I had a flight on a separate ticket that I would miss, I rebooked that flight to Paris, and had JAL transfer me to the Paris flight. This was the only option for me to make my appointment later that evening. So they will probably be flexible on rebooking you to other flights
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Ouch n sorry to say but the previous reply holds in this case.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed, unfortunately, you are entitled to nothing, though you could of course ask for a rerouting. They will not upgrade you and there is no point even asking. They might give you a voucher as a gesture of good will instead if you stick to the delayed flight.

As you rightly say, had you been flying BA (for now), AF or LH, your bank account would be €600 better off plus a meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.