JAL Curry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
JAL Curry

Hi Folks,

Got some JAL flights coming up and I can see that J/F have an option for a 'special' JAL curry.
For people with some knowledge of Brits you probably know that our idea of curry is different to that of the Japanese.
The JAL one does seem to come with high praise in some places though and be somewhat of a fixture.

I just wondered if the cognoscenti on here though that it was worth saving what is likely to be one of my few ever JAL F plane\lounge meals for this curry? There are *a lot* of good menu options on JAL and I'm unlikely to be able to try them all.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I wouldn't hold out for it at all as a signature meal or special experience, unless you have a hankering for Japanese curry (even then it's good but not great imo). Think of it as a comfort food option for their target passenger base.

Enjoy your flight!
Attached Images  
DeathSlam and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I wouldn't hold out for it at all as a signature meal or special experience, unless you have a hankering for Japanese curry (even then it's good but not great imo). Think of it as a comfort food option for their target passenger base.

Enjoy your flight!
Mmmm. I'm more interested in the katsu sandwich and suntory beer! What a combination of Japanese comfort foods!

I second Rusty's response. Japanese curry is pretty easy to make and I wouldn't make it a culinary must, especially in F class. Try the other items first, if you're in London there is a CoCo Ichibanya that has opened which you can try in case you miss it in Japan which is very good in curry standards. Cheers!
Admiral Ackbar and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

IThink of it as a comfort food option for their target passenger base.
Thank you. This is what I thought, but I have massive FOMI!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I guess FOMO. I should say that if I had never had a Japanese curry at all, then I would have to try it. The same thing seems to apply to economiyaki (new thread needed on that one). I only have 4-6 bites at the JAL cherry, so I will try to do better than curry or noodles in batter.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
will you get to fly JAL intl ex Japan? you'd get better JAL Curry (that changes seasonally, who knew) in the lounges (both J and F). save you bellyspace for the other food. Since you're going to Japan, you may get to get some local curry in town. (I've never ever ordered curry as a meal in tokyo - but it would eventually slip thru if you go to a non-top line katsu house or where not)

Agree with the above this is one of the 3 versions of comfort food onboard (the other 2 being ramen or udon/soba that is usually in the menu too).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I guess FOMO. I should say that if I had never had a Japanese curry at all, then I would have to try it. The same thing seems to apply to economiyaki (new thread needed on that one). I only have 4-6 bites at the JAL cherry, so I will try to do better than curry or noodles in batter.
Hmm, is that a cheap version of okonomiyaki? Like "economic bee hoon" in Singapore?

So Japanese curry is different from the rest of the Asian curries in the sense it is usually not spicy (you can choose for it to be at Coco, for example, but it doesn't come spicy by default) and is less full of spices (or so it feels to me) than Indian curry. Very flavourful and fragrant though (surprisingly Japanese don't mind the smell of curry, even though the mind they smell of everything else).

Okonomiyaki is best had in Hiroshima, I feel, in the building with all the stalls, in a very casual setting. Having it fancy just isn't the same.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Okonomiyaki is best had in Hiroshima,.
Sorry for typo (but you obviously understood). I recently tried the Osaka version so I feel duty bound to try the Hiroshima one next month. Was going to go somewhere near the peace park, but I guess everywhere near there will be pretty touristy,
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stillmatic
CoCo Ichibanya
Thanks to all the folks who recommended CoCo. I was unaware of it. Given the enjoyment I had of other visits to Japanese fast food restaurants like Sukiya I'm pretty sure I'll give it a go. But maybe not on the plane
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Okonomiyaki is best had in Hiroshima, I feel, in the building with all the stalls, in a very casual setting. Having it fancy just isn't the same.
Isn't it Hiroshimayaki and Monjayaki (or just Monja)?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
I will say the curry in the International Sakura lounge at Narita is still really good. Though it seems like the meat in it goes down a little every year.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Thanks to all the folks who recommended CoCo. I was unaware of it. Given the enjoyment I had of other visits to Japanese fast food restaurants like Sukiya I'm pretty sure I'll give it a go. But maybe not on the plane
Oh, Coco is way better than Sukiya!

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Um, I would think it can still be called okonomiyaki. That is just a shortened version of the name.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Monja or monjayaki is a Tokyo food, you could call it the Tokyo version of okonomiyaki. Best enjoyed in the area around Tsukijima.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Enrich
Hmm, is that a cheap version of okonomiyaki? Like "economic bee hoon" in Singapore?

So Japanese curry is different from the rest of the Asian curries in the sense it is usually not spicy (you can choose for it to be at Coco, for example, but it doesn't come spicy by default) and is less full of spices (or so it feels to me) than Indian curry. Very flavourful and fragrant though (surprisingly Japanese don't mind the smell of curry, even though the mind they smell of everything else).

Yes, japanese curry is very different, and if you expect like the curry you find in India, UK or anywhere else you will be very disappointed. Because the curry is starch base.

There is a documentary on youtube about japan curry development, it kind of interesting.

Anyway if you fly in First class, I would not recommend curry
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:33 pm

Enjoy your flight!
I saw you got the pork cutlet sandwich.
Just wondering if the bread is supposed to be soft/soggy, not crispy. I'm not familiar with how Japanese sandwiches are done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.