Award issue: no F availability CTS-HND

Old Apr 4, 19, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Award issue: no F availability CTS-HND

I just booked CTS-HND-SFO in late Feb. of next year using AA miles. The HND-SFO leg is in F, but I was only able to book in J on the CTS-HND leg. The flight is configured to have F seats, but they don't seem bookable even with cash. Is this flight just too far out, and they haven't opened up booking yet?
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:49 am

I didnít think you could book F on JAL domestic. Although you could pay 7000 JPY to upgrade at the airport on the day of departure if there is availability.
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:26 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Mileage tickets are only available in Y. But as mentioned you can pay the upgrade fee on the day of departure on a seat available basis.. F is not very likely to have seats available on the day of departure. Class J (domestic PY) is often available for 1000 JPY on the day of departure

JAL has not opened for revenue bookings for Feb next year yet. Only connections for international flights can be booked right now.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

AA did put me in J after I called and complained (which it sounds like is premium economy). So JAL does not release any domestic F space to partners? It seems strange that if you're booking CTS-HND-SFO on F, you pay for F but still have to fly economy on the domestic leg. Is there anything I can do here (other than paying to upgrade on the day of)?

​​​​​​
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:08 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zdog156 View Post
AA did put me in J after I called and complained (which it sounds like is premium economy). So JAL does not release any domestic F space to partners? It seems strange that if you're booking CTS-HND-SFO on F, you pay for F but still have to fly economy on the domestic leg. Is there anything I can do here (other than paying to upgrade on the day of)?

​​​​​​
JAL does not release award inventory for domestic F. Cash only

Nothing you can do, apart from hoping an F seat is available for upgrade on the day of departure
zdog156 and Tokyoite like this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a 1h 35m flight for goodness sake. Even if you are in F, you dont get much more than in the domestic Class J which is really a PY but still not international routes PY standard. What is the big deal with barely 2 extra inches on the pitch and seat width on such short flight? Dont expect you will get some premium drinks... and there is no meal served.

We have a MIA-JFK-NRT-ITM award booked a few weeks ago to travel next Monday. The NRT-ITM is in economy not even the Class J. But for a flight has only 1h 20m blocked time, who cares!
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:56 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
NRT-ITM JL3009 is operated by an international configuration.
So, you can sit in an international J seat (Shell Flat Neo, E03).
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
JAL does not sell award tickets in domestic F! End of story.
Class J isnt business class, but slightly better than economy.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
NRT-ITM JL3009 is operated by an international configuration.
So, you can sit in an international J seat (Shell Flat Neo, E03).
JL unfortunately does not release the J availability for award.

We always take the voluntary downgrade to Y for JL domestic routes. Very often you can pay 1000 JPY to sit at "Class J" which is slightly better than regular economy seat but not by much.

Frankly, the only flights we absolutely need to have J seats (for the lie flat bed) is the long hauls and may be flights over 4 hours, if we have paid for the respective redemption cost. However at a pinch we have no problem taking a voluntary downgrade on domestic segments be it in US / Canada or in Japan - especially in Japan when the domestic flights are So. Short. Case in point when we returned from LAX to FLL, as part of a F award on QF SYD-MEL-LAX followed by AS LAX-FLL, it was during Thanksgiving week and the ONLY availability found were the 2 flights on Thanksgiving Day, in coach. Otherwise it would be the end of first week of December. We counted our fortune to be able to snap the 2 coach seats on the first LAX-FLL flight so we could still arrive FLL just 5 min before midnight, versus the second flight that would literally be in the small hours of the next day.

I seriously dont understand some people's mentality that "Since I pay the J / F, I should be able to fly that all the way." The reality is, availability and for that matter, often trump the other factors - as long as it is a short segment, we dont much care, because the main goal for the J/F cabin is for the flat bed on an overnight red eyes. The rest is rather trivial, after you have flown enough of such. My husband once slept thru the whole HKG-LAX in CX F when we were the only 2 passengers in the F cabin. If I did not wake him up an hour before arrival to get a light breakfast, he would probably sleep till the last possible moment before getting ready for landing.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 5, 19 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:53 am

Everyone has different reasons for travelling, so whilst I understand that F might be more valuable for sleep and rest on a long haul, I can completely appreciate why someone would want F or the highest available class on all sectors of the journey. F on JAL domestic is pretty decent considering the short flight times and you do get a meal and drinks if I recall correctly.
Class J (what some are referring to as premium economy) compares quite favourably to most European business class seats these days - I would even say leg room is better.

If the OP really wants F on domestic, why not just get the award flight to Tokyo and then purchase the F tickets. If booked far in advance the cost isnít too bad. Of course there is the small risk of missed connections however JAL is quite good about this.

Search this Thread