Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't JAL offer Premium Economy from San Diego to Tokyo (Narita)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

My mother is flying from SAN to NRT on JAL, Boeing 787-8.
I called the travel agency to see if I could upgrade her to Premium Economy, but apparently JAL only offers Economy and next up is Business class.
If I want to fly Premium Economy, I would need to fly out of LAX.
It seems strange as San Diego to Narita is 12 hours and there would be demand for more comfortable seats.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
JAL are in the process of reconfiguring their 788s to be two classes only. By doing so, they can increase capacity. AIUI, they're moving from the E11 config to E12. https://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/787.html

Having said that, Y on the 787 is very good (2-4-2, 19" wide seat and 33" pitch), and I don't think you miss much going to PY (lounge access; leg rest; a bit more space; champagne and a couple of other drinks; udon de sky; and slippers).

Last edited by MELso; Mar 17, 2019 at 7:18 pm Reason: Forgot about the slippers!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The NEO configuration that has been (and is for a bit still?) operating the San Diego before the E12 config was also without PY.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The NEO configuration that has been (and is for a bit still?) operating the San Diego before the E12 config was also without PY.
According to the latest timetable, all flights out of SAN are SS8 now...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MELso
According to the latest timetable, all flights out of SAN are SS8 now...
The "now" starts at 3.31, still about a week and half away.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
The "now" starts at 3.31, still about a week and half away.
I was not sure exactly when the cut over was supposed to happen. But yes, officially NEO until 30.03.2019. In practical terms a few SS8 may sneak in before that.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:58 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I was not sure exactly when the cut over was supposed to happen. But yes, officially NEO until 30.03.2019. In practical terms a few SS8 may sneak in before that.
for time travelers it’s now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.