Ship luggage to ORD to avoid AA luggage charge?

Old Mar 16, 19, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Question Ship luggage to ORD to avoid AA luggage charge?

Hi, folks.
I am flying CLT-ORD and ORD-NRT in a few weeks. I have Sapphire OW status. My CLT-ORD flight is on AA in Y so I can get two checked bags free. A third bag would cost $150. I'm flying in J ORD-NRT so I can take three checked bags free. Unfortunately, the flights are not interlined -- they are two separate reservations. I'm expecting to be bringing a good amount of stuff with me and will probably need the third bag.

My question is: Can I ship the bag to JAL in ORD, pick it up and check it on the JAL flight? I really don't want to pay the $150 AA fee.

TIA.
Kento
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in the same situation as you two years ago, though as a BA Gold. AA actually did charge me for bag 3, but sent me a refund 2 weeks later after I complained. As such, I would roll the dice. Sure you might lose $100, but you might come out $150 ahead. More importantly, there are many things that can go wrong with the shipping plan.
whkento likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
shipping is a pain to handle, and isnt free anyway. just travel with all 3 bags!
whkento likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Is one of the bags small enough to go as a carry on, without any prohibited items? Either carry it on or gate check it if the flight is full, and recheck it at ORD.
whkento likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can't ship it to AA's baggage check-in and would have to have it held at Fedex / UPS at ORD, get a cab, pick it up, drag it back to the passenger terminal and check it in. Highly unlikely to cost less than $150 and you really need to allow at least an extra 90-120 minutes to exit security and go through all of this. Long way of saying not likely worth it.

You might check the cost of the cheapest F fare. AA will process an UG to F with no change fee. A good chance that it is less than $150 to upgrade.

Finally, pay the fee and see if you can't get it back later. AA should decline to do so because you are on separate tickets, but sometimes mistakes cut your way. Also, have a paper print out of your onwards e-ticket receipt. Never know if this isn't the time when AA either through checks or at least doesn't collect for the third bag.
whkento likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for you replies, everyone! I appreciate the insights.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

You might check the cost of the cheapest F fare. AA will process an UG to F with no change fee. A good chance that it is less than $150 to upgrade.
I'm definitely going to check into that. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 19, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Actually, the cost of a First seat is much more than the luggage fee. Again, thanks to everyone for your ideas and input. I guess I'll just suck it up and pay the fee.

Search this Thread