Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy on SS8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Premium Economy on SS8

I was looking to book a trip from LHR to HND in December and found out that there's no more Premium Economy bookable on the SS8 flight (JL41/42). Did some further research and it seems that starting from Nov 5th JAL no more offers PE product on this SS8 flight. Does it have to do anything with the E11->E12 mod (all E11 to be converted to E12 and no more PE on these equipments)?

Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I am surprised that LHR over night would get the E12 configuration, as it also means a smaller J cabin, and the flight seems stuffed in J when I take it. I notice the Moscow gets the same treatment from November.

I wonder if PY is not performing for JAL?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
The new SEA-NRT route has the E12 as well...
I'm curious if they're going to limit the change to the SS8, or if they'll also be converting the SS9s and 777s in the future.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am surprised that LHR over night would get the E12 configuration, as it also means a smaller J cabin, and the flight seems stuffed in J when I take it. I notice the Moscow gets the same treatment from November.

I wonder if PY is not performing for JAL?
They need extra capacity
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
MEL-NRT also gets changed to E12 in early May.

Are they actually reconfiguring existing 788s though, or is it only that new 788s are being supplied without Premium Economy?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
They need extra capacity
They generally might do, but I hope the capacity growth can cover for the loss of yield by cutting the size of the J cabin.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by MELso
MEL-NRT also gets changed to E12 in early May.

Are they actually reconfiguring existing 788s though, or is it only that new 788s are being supplied without Premium Economy?
Reconfiguring
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:54 pm

They generally might do, but I hope the capacity growth can cover for the loss of yield by cutting the size of the J cabin.
I would rather them keep 1-2 rows of PY instead of no PY at all.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would rather them keep 1-2 rows of PY instead of no PY at all.
Yes, and it does make me wonder if JL is not having success with PY. I guess we can see what happens with the A350 when it arrives.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:50 pm

Yes, and it does make me wonder if JL is not having success with PY. I guess we can see what happens with the A350 when it arrives.
Maybe time to lower the same-day upgrade cost if they can't fill the cabin
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Perhaps the 787 economy product is (whisper it to avoid JAL fitting 9-abreast seating in future) too good. Compared to most airlines, PY doesn't offer a huge amount more: lounge access (except if bought at airport), a bit more leg room, a leg rest, a few more drinks and udon de sky means that the product is not a giant leap over Y...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
ANA is doing the similar thing by having 14 PE instead of 21 on their dense 788s. Maybe they kept PE so they won't upset their elite members as elites can get free PE at check in.

I think in the end JAL is converting all E11 toE12 as there are only 10 equipments and it's just simply not worth to have two different configs. Will some E03 also get mod to E12 or no?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MELso
Perhaps the 787 economy product is (whisper it to avoid JAL fitting 9-abreast seating in future) too good. Compared to most airlines, PY doesn't offer a huge amount more: lounge access (except if bought at airport), a bit more leg room, a leg rest, a few more drinks and udon de sky means that the product is not a giant leap over Y...
Agree. The diff in service between PE and Y as you mentioned does not make PE worth the price difference IMO -- the Y product is already the top of the industry If I'm on AA I would not hesitate to book PE just bc AA's Y is so painful
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
The new SEA-NRT route has the E12 as well...
I'm curious if they're going to limit the change to the SS8, or if they'll also be converting the SS9s and 777s in the future.
772s are undergoing W63/64 mod (J/Y only, increasing the overall capacity to 312 pax), but I would expect JAL to keep a few 772s with PE for SIN=HND route. No words on SS9 yet, but the dense SS9II already has reduced PE availability (35 -> 21).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Maybe time to lower the same-day upgrade cost if they can't fill the cabin
Or give them to JML for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.