JAL's Safety Video

Old Mar 6, 19, 9:08 am
Original Poster

JAL's Safety Video

I saw ANA's (new) safety video for the first time today. It was awesome!
It made me think how outdated JAL's safety video is. I personally fell JAL's video is quite annoying(, especially when it pauses my movie).
Is it just me or anyone else feels like it is about time JAL do the Hollywood thing?

BTW, last week, my monitor was not working properly and the CA asked me (and everyone else with the same problem) to read the instructions in the paper leaflet.
Is this the standard procedure? I often see other airlines perform the old-fashioned human-waves-arms performance when the IFE goes the wrong way. Anyone knows if there is any regulation about this?

After the too-much-booze accidents (incidents?) I'm a bit worried about JAL's safety care.
Old Mar 6, 19, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I like the current video, it is succinct and not overly long. Too many airlines with their new fancy safety videos drag them on forever. Some of the worst examples to me have been the QR football ones, and the BA audition ones How can anyone in a country with so much tradition for humour not scrap the latter after watching about 27 seconds?

That being said, the ANA one seems pretty good However, let me watch it in a plane a couple of times before I make my final call.

As you could still hear the safety explanation, and they are generally in the aisles point out the emergency exits, and then asking you to read the pamflet it would probably put them well within the requirements for safety briefings.. There are probably more planes in the world having safety instructions without video monitors than with.
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:04 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I’d rather JL spend their money on things that improve the passenger experience than prettifying a required-by-law safety video.
Old Mar 6, 19, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
I’d rather JL spend their money on things that improve the passenger experience than prettifying a required-by-law safety video.
That's another side to it.

I just remembered I have received a survey about the safety video, maybe two years ago. So potentially they were considering changing it, but it has been shelved again.
Old Mar 6, 19, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
As you could still hear the safety explanation, and they are generally in the aisles point out the emergency exits, and then asking you to read the pamflet it would probably put them well within the requirements for safety briefings.. There are probably more planes in the world having safety instructions without video monitors than with.
That is the problem. There was no one in the aisle to be seen.
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgchiker View Post
That is the problem. There was no one in the aisle to be seen.
The FAA regulation for a pre flight briefing is in 14 CFR § 135.117. The Japanse rules will be different but probably not significantly so. If we go by the FAA all that would not have been fulfilled by the audio from the system would be the location of the emergency exits and how to operate them. Whether asking you to review the card makes up for this I can't say, in my opinion yes. I have never seen an airline go to a manual demonstration for a few/some monitors being in-op. Only when the whole IFE is out of commission. (I last had that happen on Cathay)

Interestingly enough, the FAA requires the final assembly country of the aircraft to be printed of the safety card.
(4) No later than June 12, 2005, for scheduled Commuter passenger-carrying flights, include the sentence, “Final assembly of this aircraft was completed in [INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY].”
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
The FAA regulation for a pre flight briefing is in 14 CFR § 135.117. The Japanse rules will be different but probably not significantly so. If we go by the FAA all that would not have been fulfilled by the audio from the system would be the location of the emergency exits and how to operate them. Whether asking you to review the card makes up for this I can't say, in my opinion yes. I have never seen an airline go to a manual demonstration for a few/some monitors being in-op. Only when the whole IFE is out of commission. (I last had that happen on Cathay)

Interestingly enough, the FAA requires the final assembly country of the aircraft to be printed of the safety card.
(4) No later than June 12, 2005, for scheduled Commuter passenger-carrying flights, include the sentence, “Final assembly of this aircraft was completed in [INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY].”
i got a personal demo on JL before because my IFE wasn’t working
Old Mar 7, 19, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

i got a personal demo on JL before because my IFE wasn’t working
But why?
Old Mar 7, 19, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
But why?
because safety first lol
Old Mar 7, 19, 5:04 pm
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBB Silver
Personally, I really like the current video. It's short, simple, and the feel to it just seems very Japanese. It's not overly convoluted like many of the videos these days (BA, I'm looking at you).
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 4:19 am
Original Poster

I bet most people in this forum are over 30.
But then again, that's probably where JAL has it's target consumers.
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because we are happy with a 3 minute video that gets the message across, rather than 5+ minutes of massive failures at being funny? Your movie gets interrupted for far longer on most other airlines...
​​​​​​
rustykettel and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 11, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, JAL Diamond, AS MVPG 75K, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
First time watching BA safety video: woah nice effort BA.
Third time: OK I want to keep watching my movie.

Those fancy ones are cool for those who fly maybe for the first or second time, but honestly to frequent flyers it's just too much
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:50 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBB Silver
fwiw, I'm 20, and I dislike BA's video. Out of all the "cinematic" safety videos, my favourites are Singapore's and Qantas', though I'd pick to see JAL's one any day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: