Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JFK-NRT-ITM - both on JL - is 2 hr 15min sufficient?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA system allowed ticketing the connection.

JFK-NRT on JL 3 arriving at 14:40.

NRT-ITM on JL 3005 departing at 16:55.

I assume JL at JFK would issue both BPs but of course we still need to clear immigration / custom at NRT.

Looks like JL departs from T2. Is the bus shuttle the only option to go between International arrival and T2? How frequent is the shuttle?

Or do we need to change to the later flight of JL 3009 departing at 18:25?

JL 3009 is the last flight of the day. Should we miss the connection to JL 3005, would JL put us on that flight?

I am not finding much information on the Narita airport site because the options it give about connections dont seem to fit - International airlines to International airlines, International airlines to domestic airlines.

What is the procedures for the transit passengers who need to clear immigration / customs?

Thanks for the JL experts to give your opinions.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
You will be fine. MCT is 1 hr 20 min for this itinerary. Everything is in T2. You just need to turn left and go to the end of the terminal to check in, then go up the escalator at the end of the terminal to go to domestic airside. No shuttle needed.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
You just stay within T2, there’s no bus involved. After clearing immigration and customs you walk over to the domestic check in area. 2h15 is plenty of time
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Since you are arriving on JL3 you would expect to park at one of Gates 60s or 70s (main building), which means you most likely will not walk for a long distance from gate to immigration. Also domestic check in is on the same floor as international arrival and it would be easy to recheck luggage. 2h15m sounds enough to me. worst case there's a 6pm flight if JL3 is delayed.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the prompt reply. On the airport site it does say JL both international check in and domestic check in are at T2 but then the screen on the transit from international to domestic confuses me.

I guess the domestic check in is only needed for bag drop if there is restriction on the carryon both dimension and weight, unless JL at JFK would not issue the NRT-ITM BP.

We are going to Kobe with the bus immediately therefore it is better to be able to take the 16:55 flight.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
JL3's maximum delay in last 60 days is 95min. And basically, very good ontime performance
IMHO, you have 98-99% confidence.

If you want 99.9% confidence, 2h15m isn't enough :-)
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Happy
Thank you guys for the prompt reply. On the airport site it does say JL both international check in and domestic check in are at T2 but then the screen on the transit from international to domestic confuses me. I guess the domestic check in is only needed for bag drop if there is restriction on the carryon both dimension and weight, unless JL at JFK would not issue the NRT-ITM BP. We are going to Kobe with the bus immediately therefore it is better to be able to take the 16:55 flight.
Done a similar connecting itinerary before.
Domestic BP willl be issued. You won't see your checked in luggage until ITM.
You will have a lot of time until domestic departure.
Note that there are minimum food options after security in the domestic terminal, so eat dinner before clearing security (after immigration/customs) in Japan.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
JL3's maximum delay in last 60 days is 95min. And basically, very good ontime performance
IMHO, you have 98-99% confidence.

If you want 99.9% confidence, 2h15m isn't enough :-)
It is on the same ticket therefore JL would definitely take care of us should JL3 have major delay. I know there is one more flight JL3009 at 18:25.

We have changed our plan to go to Kobe after arrival. Kobe was picked due to there is a Sheraton seemingly has a good price and I need to take advantage of the double elite nights on the current Marriott promotion. It turns out the hotel is on an island from Kobe proper - not going to work. So we are heading to Osaka instead.

The real "destination" is actually Okinawa. Ideally with an early evening arrival at ITM on Wed, we want to fly to OKA on Friday - this gives us a rest on Thursday.
Alas, it seems Okinawa is a popular weekend destination for the mainland Japanese. Award seats on Fri outbound, and on Mon inbound, are not available. Instead, Sat the second outbound flight is available and Tue onward there are many flights back to HND.

We have a cruise to board at Yokohama on Friday. So we can fly back from OKA to HND either on Wed or Thur. Haven't decided whether 3 full days in Okinawa are enough or to give it 4 full days.
The latest we need to return to HND, to be on the safe side, is Thur.

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Done a similar connecting itinerary before.
Domestic BP willl be issued. You won't see your checked in luggage until ITM.
You will have a lot of time until domestic departure.
Note that there are minimum food options after security in the domestic terminal, so eat dinner before clearing security (after immigration/customs) in Japan.
Enjoy your trip.
That is what I thought that the domestic BP would be issued at JFK also. I am surprised to learn that even NRT is the first port of entry, the continuing passengers dont have to pick up checked bags for clearing customs there?

Thanks for the tips on eating dinner before clearing security to the domestic departure.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 3, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:36 pm

It is on the same ticket therefore JL would definitely take care of us should JL3 have major delay. I know there is one more flight JL3009 at 18:25.

We have changed our plan to go to Kobe after arrival. Kobe was picked due to there is a Sheraton seemingly has a good price and I need to take advantage of the double elite nights on the current Marriott promotion. It turns out the hotel is on an island from Kobe proper - not going to work. So we are heading to Osaka instead.

The real "destination" is actually Okinawa. Ideally with an early evening arrival at ITM on Wed, we want to fly to OKA on Friday - this gives us a rest on Thursday.
Alas, it seems Okinawa is a popular weekend destination for the mainland Japanese. Award seats on Fri outbound, and on Mon inbound, are not available. Instead, Sat the second outbound flight is available and Tue onward there are many flights back to HND.

We have a cruise to board at Yokohama on Friday. So we can fly back from OKA to HND either on Wed or Thur. Haven't decided whether 3 full days in Okinawa are enough or to give it 4 full days.
The latest we need to return to HND, to be on the safe side, is Thur.

That is what I thought that the domestic BP would be issued at JFK also. I am surprised to learn that even NRT is the first port of entry, the continuing passengers dont have to pick up checked bags for clearing customs there?

Thanks for the tips on eating dinner before clearing security to the domestic departure.
he is wrong about the luggage. You have to pick them up at NRT
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak

he is wrong about the luggage. You have to pick them up at NRT
Thanks. I thought that is not correct - every country requires the incoming passengers to pick up checked bags for clearing customs purpose whether you are visitor or citizen, at the point of entry. We only have 20 / 21 carryons so we would not check them on the JFK-NRT leg (flying in J) but probably would need to check them at the NRT-ITM leg. At least we dont have to wait for the bags to show up upon arriving NRT.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Thanks. I thought that is not correct - every country requires the incoming passengers to pick up checked bags for clearing customs purpose whether you are visitor or citizen, at the point of entry.
Some countries make international-domestic passengers clear only immigration at the first point of entry, and customs at the domestic destination (Schengen area, Malaysia, Thailand come to mind). There are also examples of domestic flights being treated as international like ICN-PUS/TAE, so both immigration and customs are cleared on arrival at the domestic destination.

Of course, none of these examples are relevant to you, but it might be useful to keep those in mind in case you find yourself in a similar situation.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Some countries make international-domestic passengers clear only immigration at the first point of entry, and customs at the domestic destination (Schengen area, Malaysia, Thailand come to mind). There are also examples of domestic flights being treated as international like ICN-PUS/TAE, so both immigration and customs are cleared on arrival at the domestic destination.

Of course, none of these examples are relevant to you, but it might be useful to keep those in mind in case you find yourself in a similar situation.
Thanks. Will look at how the regulations are when situations arise. On top of that regulations may change. Better to find the current information at travel time than relying on old data / memory.

I cannot remember when was the last time we had checked bags on long haul international. Intra Europe have to check bags due to the weight and dimension restriction. Try as we might, we cannot travel with bags weigh below 7kg. But they are always one segment flights so it does not make a difference, i.e. no connection.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:21 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
LAX-NRT-ITM Next month we have award tickets (AL) for JL 61 (F) connecting to JL 3009 (Y). JL 61 arrives 16:45 and JL 3009 departs 18:25. Both flights are on the same ticket and we will have only carryon luggage. The connection is 1 hr and 40 minutes so it seems we will be OK as long as JL 61 is on time. Unfortunately JL 3009 is the last flight of the day from NRT to ITM. There is a later Jet Star flight to KIX and there is of corse an option of the train. My question to the experts is what will JAL do for us if JL 61 is to late for the connection? Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ned
LAX-NRT-ITM Next month we have award tickets (AL) for JL 61 (F) connecting to JL 3009 (Y). JL 61 arrives 16:45 and JL 3009 departs 18:25. Both flights are on the same ticket and we will have only carryon luggage. The connection is 1 hr and 40 minutes so it seems we will be OK as long as JL 61 is on time. Unfortunately JL 3009 is the last flight of the day from NRT to ITM. There is a later Jet Star flight to KIX and there is of corse an option of the train. My question to the experts is what will JAL do for us if JL 61 is to late for the connection? Thanks for any input.
They will probably send you to Haneda as there are later flights from there. If that fails, they will probably put you up for the night

As you are in F and the arrival fast track for immigration is very fast you would need more than an hour delay to not make it JL will assist you if you run tight on time.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They will probably send you to Haneda as there are later flights from there.
unlikely to make the ITM flight if he can’t make the one from NRT. Only KIX left as an option or just take the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.