Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JFK-NRT-ITM - both on JL - is 2 hr 15min sufficient?

JFK-NRT-ITM - both on JL - is 2 hr 15min sufficient?

Old Mar 17, 19, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

unlikely to make the ITM flight if he can’t make the one from NRT. Only KIX left as an option or just take the train.
In this case, wouldn't it be better to stay an overnight at NRT then resume the journey the next day, assuming the poser does not need to be in Osaka the night before?

Would JL assist with hotel in that scenario?
Old Mar 17, 19, 11:45 pm

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
if NRT ITM is the same ticket, JEP or Yokoso Pass, JL Would protect on the train. so there's nothing to worry about.

PS: When are you going to Okinawa from Osaka, and how? they might even fly you from Tokyo if there is enough tossup (if you were meant to fly ITMOKA).
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
if NRT ITM is the same ticket, JEP or Yokoso Pass, JL Would protect on the train. so there's nothing to worry about.

PS: When are you going to Okinawa from Osaka, and how? they might even fly you from Tokyo if there is enough tossup (if you were meant to fly ITMOKA).
Oh, the overnight question is related to the other poster who posted his questions Post 11, on this thread. His connection is the last NRT-ITM flight and he wonders if his incoming flight JL 61 got delay, what would be his options.

We will stay in Osaka for 3 nights before the ITM-OKA flight.
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Quick questions

Does anyone know where the ATMs are located at T2 after clearing immigration / custom?

Also the place to buy the Suica or Pasmo card?

I hope we can get the above done before boarding our flight to ITM, especially getting the IC cards as we would need to use them in Osaka but really dont want to buy the Icoca card which can only be refunded at Osaka.
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Quick questions

Does anyone know where the ATMs are located at T2 after clearing immigration / custom?

I hope we can get the above done before boarding our flight to ITM, especially getting the IC cards as we would need to use them in Osaka but really dont want to buy the Icoca card which can only be refunded at Osaka.
Suica, you would need to go down stairs to the JR station. Look for the 7-11 down by the JR station they will have an ATM that takes international credit cards as well.
Old Mar 31, 19, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, LATAM Platinum, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
As CPH-Flyer said you'll need to go downstairs after you hit the 7-Bank (7-11) ATM outside of customs. Make sure that you get the SUICA from JR not the PASMO from Keisei. All of the JRs take each others' cards (SUICA, TOICA, ICOCA, and SUGOCA) but a PASMO generally doesn't work well outside of Greater Tokyo( at least for me). There may be a restriction one using any of the card if you need transfer between regions since the cards don't seem to talk very well on through tickets (eg going from Tokyo to Hakata) but it only means that you'll need to touch out and then back in at one of the main stations (Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka). I've never had an issue using my SUICA as long as I've stayed in the same region even out in the sticks in Sasebo with JR Kyushu (SUGOCA). I haven't tried my PASMO outside of Tokyo but I've heard that things sometimes get a little weird (this was a couple of years ago but supposedly all of the smart cards are now "integrated"}
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au

Old Apr 1, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by ttuna3 View Post
. I haven't tried my PASMO outside of Tokyo but I've heard that things sometimes get a little weird (this was a couple of years ago but supposedly all of the smart cards are now "integrated"}
Only place I found so far that they wouldn't take my PASMO was on the Hiroshima tram.. but this was back in 2016 and last I heard they did integrate with the other major IC cards there as well. It worked fine in Nagoya, Kyoto, and Hiroshima JR.
I am going a bit OT since OP is going to Osaka...
Old Apr 1, 19, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

The video is very helpful, although the long line to the JR ticket office scares me at first!

So hit the ATM first to get the Yen, then go to the machine to buy the Suica. Though IIRC the Japanese banks ATMs at NRT also take foreign cards - it is only inside the city we need to use 7-11s.

I do believe now the Pasmo are integrated into the system as on the net many travel blogs mention you can use it pretty much anywhere in main islands of Japan incl Kyushu. Though I believe it is useless in Okinawa where we will go after the first 3 days pit stop at Osaka.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

The video is very helpful, although the long line to the JR ticket office scares me at first!

So hit the ATM first to get the Yen, then go to the machine to buy the Suica. Though IIRC the Japanese banks ATMs at NRT also take foreign cards - it is only inside the city we need to use 7-11s.

I do believe now the Pasmo are integrated into the system as on the net many travel blogs mention you can use it pretty much anywhere in main islands of Japan incl Kyushu. Though I believe it is useless in Okinawa where we will go after the first 3 days pit stop at Osaka.
I believe the uselessness in Okinawa applies equally to the other IC cards, not just Pasmo.
Old Apr 2, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I believe the uselessness in Okinawa applies equally to the other IC cards, not just Pasmo.
According to what I'm able to find, Okica (Okinawa IC card) is planning to get it integrated with the other cards, ie: Suica, Pasmo, etc, by 2020.
Also if they're still available, you can get a keychain figure that has the Okica integrated into the base which doubles as an IC card and a souvenier
http://info.okica.jp/wp-content/uplo...d64ac0878e.jpg
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:09 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
NRT ATM Question

“As CPH-Flyer said you'll need to go downstairs after you hit the 7-Bank (7-11) ATM outside of customs.” Does this mean there is an ATM (which will work with US bank debit cards) immediately outside the exit from the customs/immigration area on the second floor? If this is the case I assume the ATM is on the route one would take to the JL domestic gates (JL 3009) and would not require a detour “downstairs”. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible but need yens and do not need an IC card immediately. Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ned View Post
NRT ATM Question

“As CPH-Flyer said you'll need to go downstairs after you hit the 7-Bank (7-11) ATM outside of customs.” Does this mean there is an ATM (which will work with US bank debit cards) immediately outside the exit from the customs/immigration area on the second floor? If this is the case I assume the ATM is on the route one would take to the JL domestic gates (JL 3009) and would not require a detour “downstairs”. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible but need yens and do not need an IC card immediately. Thanks for any input.
There are ATMs in the arrival lobby that takes international cards, there are also some that don't. So it was easier to say look for the 7-11.

I can't remember the exact location in the arrival lobby, but if you ask the information staff, they will point you in the right direction.
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There are ATMs in the arrival lobby that takes international cards, there are also some that don't. So it was easier to say look for the 7-11.

I can't remember the exact location in the arrival lobby, but if you ask the information staff, they will point you in the right direction.
Agree on the reliability of Seven Bank with foreign cards. I popped down for cash and then back up to take the shuttle over to T1. I didn't find it much out of the way.

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/map/?terminal=2&map=9
1F International arrival: #6 MUFG/Chiba/JP Bank & #20 SMBC
B1F train: #4 Seven Bank

List of all ATMs:
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/service/svc_12

Last edited by rustykettel; Apr 3, 19 at 12:28 am