Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will accept international booking 360 days in advance from Apr 1 2019

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:36 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

I was trying to keep this on the down low when I posted this cryptic post earlier. But @CPH-Flyer did more research (and hopefully he's right), so it's safe to put this out in the open now

JAL will extend the advanced booking period from 330 days to 360 days from Apr 1 2019 (JST) for international flights. This includes cash ticket, award booking, and upgrade. So mark your calendar to get 30 days of award inventory released at once and the best part is grAAbers and grASpers won't be able to touch these inventories at all (assuming nothing changed on their end).
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JALPak
So mark your calendar to get 30 days of award inventory released at once and the best part is grAAbers and grASpers won't be able to touch these inventories at all (assuming nothing changed on their end).
Not to worry. JAL has been far more aggressive already about pulling award inventory back from partners and saving it for grJMBlers if it wasn't booked immediately (at least for F).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not to worry. JAL has been far more aggressive already about pulling award inventory back from partners and saving it for grJMBlers if it wasn't booked immediately (at least for F).
Now they can't even book it when it's first released Giving us (Members from JMB, BA, etc) a 29-day window to book them before they are pulled 331 days out LOL

Some people have been calling before 10am JST to ask CSR to enter all the info and refresh inventory at 10am JST sharp. Something they can no longer do after the change
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Press release in English
JAL Group - PRESS RELEASES - Reservation Start Date for International Flights to be Changed to 360 days prior to Departure
Press release in Japanese
????????360?????? ??????? JAL?????
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: JGC premier
I have mixed feeling about this. While earlier booking period is usually better, I usually redeem my miles for Golden Week and Xmas, and 360 days window means that I will have to go through the effort to compete for the space in the middle of my vacation, with different time zone and all. Not exactly how I want to spend my vacation, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers..
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
I have mixed feeling about this. While earlier booking period is usually better, I usually redeem my miles for Golden Week and Xmas, and 360 days window means that I will have to go through the effort to compete for the space in the middle of my vacation, with different time zone and all. Not exactly how I want to spend my vacation, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers..
at least you don’t need to compete with those grocery shoppers for now but there are other bad news, JAL has signed up a loyalty company to help them with JMB. First order of business is selling miles to more banks. Expect JMB to depreciate more or more people become JMB rich and will compete with you for golden week awards. But at least for now the grocery shoppers are essentially kept out of the store and have to watch us shop for 29 days lol
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Woww what a nightmare. Ascenda Loyalty, the company JL signed with, touts QR, SQ, MH, AZ amongst its clients.. not exactly great example of good FF program especially with crazy devaluation without notice from the likes of QR.. lol. So much for expertise in customer loyalty. Just another reminder to burn as fast as you earn. Having just redeemed for long haul JL J and EK F, too bad that I don’t have the use of that extra 29 days :/ happy shopping to all of you!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Woww what a nightmare. Ascenda Loyalty, the company JL signed with, touts QR, SQ, MH, AZ amongst its clients.. not exactly great example of good FF program especially with crazy devaluation without notice from the likes of QR.. lol. So much for expertise in customer loyalty. Just another reminder to burn as fast as you earn. Having just redeemed for long haul JL J and EK F, too bad that I don’t have the use of that extra 29 days :/ happy shopping to all of you!
yup, so take this win while we can, even though we all know JAL didn’t make this 360 days change to please us. It’s going to get worse.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:37 pm

Looks like I'm transferring all my spg miles to JAL for the olympics! I was initially going to do it through Avios but there is no way any of those flights are surviving even 5 days.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcs26891
Looks like I'm transferring all my spg miles to JAL for the olympics! I was initially going to do it through Avios but there is no way any of those flights are surviving even 5 days.
what makes you think they will be releasing them as standard awards? And you don’t have to fly on JL, there are lots of options to Tokyo.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

what makes you think they will be releasing them as standard awards? And you don’t have to fly on JL, there are lots of options to Tokyo.
Of course, but I haven't flown JAL yet so that's supposed to be another highlight of my trip (I've been to Japan multiple times). Although the olympics are obviously something different, I'd rather fly JAL than ANA RT again.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:53 am

I'm curious why folks think other frequent flyer programs won't have access to these seats 360 days out. It will make the US domestic connections problematic, but such is life.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by mcs26891
Try calling - I was able to book QR redemptions with Avios past the 355 days that BA release at, may be the same for JL.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Dynastar
I'm curious why folks think other frequent flyer programs won't have access to these seats 360 days out. It will make the US domestic connections problematic, but such is life.
Some partners limit booking beyond the end of their own schedule.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Some partners limit booking beyond the end of their own schedule.
not just any partner...the most hated ones

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.